Stimulating Emission - Explained

• Thread starter luxiaolei
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of stimulated emission and the role of photons in causing an atom to fall to its lower energy state. The experts in the conversation explain that the perturbation caused by the incoming photon allows for the transition to occur, and that there is an equal probability for the atom to move to a higher energy level, but this is unlikely due to the discrete energy levels in the atom. They also mention a related discussion on a physics forum.
luxiaolei
Hi,all.

Can anyone help me understand. Why in the process of a stimulate emmission, the comming (perturbate) photon has the similar wavelength and direction as the released one?

Also, how can a photon make an atom fall to its lower state.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry if I'm wrong in not making my own thread for this, but I am also curious about the latter question.

luxiaolei said:
how can a photon make an atom fall to its lower state.

I understand that if the electron is losing energy it must release it as a photon, but it is not obvious to me why this happens at all. When a photon interacts with the electron, why does this kick the electron down in energy rather than up? My intuition suggests that bombarding an electron with additional energy would bump the energy state of the electron up, but clearly this is not the case in stimulated emission.

Clearly the excited state, the (possible) further excited state, and the ground state are all solutions of the harmonic oscillator. I also understand that the electron would prefer to be in the lowest energy state, but it is still unclear why the photon-electron interaction is required to force the electron back into the ground state.

I may be wrong, but my view is that since the states in the atom are orthogonal to each other, without any perturbation the atom would remain in the excited state forever.

The incoming photon perturbs the atom and couples the excited and ground states of the atom making the transition possible. According to Fermi's golden rule the probability of transition up or down are the same, so if the atom is excited there is the same probability to cause stimulated emission than absorption when the atom is in the ground state.

I understand that the perturbation makes the transition possible, but it is unclear to me why the electron cannot move to a higher energy level. Does this also happen with equal probability, but the effect is ignored, or can this simply not happen for a reason I am missing?

Atoms have discrete energy levels. If a photon of energy E causes a transition from the ground state g of the atom to an excited state e, this does not automatically mean that there will also be some other excited state e' at energy 2E. In fact, this is almost never the case. So usually there is no matching higher energy level.

Exactly, as Cthugha pointed out the energy levels in the atom are not equally spaced so if the energy of the photon matches the down transition it will probably not match the up transition.

Just a side note:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=403356

Related to Stimulating Emission - Explained

1. What is Stimulating Emission?

Stimulating Emission is a process in which a photon of the same energy as an excited atom is emitted, causing the atom to return to its ground state. This process is the basis for laser technology.

2. How does Stimulating Emission work?

Stimulating Emission works by introducing an excited atom into a medium with other atoms that are in their ground state. The excited atom then emits a photon of the same energy as its own, causing the other atoms to also emit photons of the same energy. This results in a cascade of photons being emitted, creating a coherent beam of light.

3. What are the applications of Stimulating Emission?

Stimulating Emission has many applications in various fields, such as laser technology, telecommunications, and medical imaging. It is also used in research and scientific experiments to study the behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. What is the difference between Stimulating Emission and Spontaneous Emission?

The main difference between Stimulating Emission and Spontaneous Emission is that Stimulating Emission requires an external photon to trigger the emission of another photon, while Spontaneous Emission occurs without any external influence.

5. Can Stimulating Emission be controlled?

Yes, Stimulating Emission can be controlled by adjusting the intensity and frequency of the external photon, as well as the properties of the medium in which the emission is occurring. This allows for precise control of the emitted light, making it a valuable tool in various applications.

Back