Stirling's approximation for Gamma functions with a negative argument

In summary, the conversation is about a physics bachelor's thesis focusing on a supersymmetric 1D lattice model. The problem at hand is to rewrite a function, which is a product over indices, into a power of l using Stirling's approximation. The function is eventually rewritten in terms of Gamma functions, but the approximation only works for positive arguments. Various approaches are suggested, including using recursion relations and Euler's reflection formula.
L. de Pudo
Hi, fellow physicists (to be). This is my first post on the forum, so I hope I get it right. If not so, please let me know :)

introduction to the problem
At the moment I am working on my physics bachelor's thesis at the theoretical department of my university (Amsterdam). My thesis focusses on a certain supersymmetric 1D lattice model, on which spinless fermions can be placed. While working in Mathematica, I found an exact expression for the occupation of sub-levels on the chain of length l (l being the number of sites on the lattice). The expression I found (f(l)), however, is a product over indices, which is not very insightful. My supervisor has asked me to rewrite this (f(l)) into a power of l. To do this, he said that I should use Stirling's approximation.

The problem
The function I found is
\begin{equation}
f(l) = \frac{2}{5} {(-1)}^l \prod_{i=0}^{l-3} \frac{3(l-i)-2}{3(l-i)-1}.
\end{equation}

While being not skilled in rewriting this, Mathematica rewrote f(l) in terms of Gamma functions. leaving out the pre-factors, I am left with
\begin{equation}
f(l)={(-1)}^l \frac{3l-2}{3l-1} \frac{\Gamma(\frac{4}{3}-l)}{\Gamma(\frac{5}{3}-l)}.
\end{equation}

On this expression I wanted to use Sterling's approximation for Gamma functions:
\begin{equation}
\Gamma(z)=\sqrt{\frac{2π}{z}}(\frac{z}{e})^{z}.
\end{equation}
The trouble that arises is that this approximation is only valid for positive arguments z of Gamma.

Attempt to Solve
To solve this, I tried to use the recursion relation

\begin{equation}
\Gamma(z)=\frac{\Gamma(z+1)}{z}
\end{equation}

If I use this recursion relation, however, I'm back at the indexed product I started with.

Does anyone on this forum know of a different approach, some sparks of creativity or otherwise good tips? All help is very welcome.

greetings,

Ludo

Physics news on Phys.org

I misspelled 'Stirling' in the title, can an admin maybe change this?

There definitely exists an expression which is more handy than the one Mathematica gave you... If you just write out the product, you get
[tex] f(l) = \frac{2}{5} (-1)^l \frac{7 \cdot 10 \cdot 13 \cdot ... \cdot (3l-2)}{8 \cdot 11 \cdot 14 \cdot ... \cdot (3l-1)} = (-1)^l \frac{\Gamma(2/3) \Gamma(l+1/3)}{\Gamma(1/3) \Gamma(l+2/3)}, [/tex]
where the last step is from wolfram alpha :) It's difficult to estimate if the two expressions are the same without knowing the prefactors, but this certainly looks more appealing in terms of using Stirling.

You can also get your expression into the same form as the one clamtrox posted by use Euler's reflection formula:

[tex] \Gamma(1-z) \Gamma(z)=\frac{ \pi }{ \sin( \pi z ) }[/tex]

Thanks, Clamtrox and gabbagabbahey (Gabba as in the music genre?) for the useful comments. With a positive-argument Gamma function, my world is a lot brighter :)

You're welcome! (And my handle is taken from the lyrics to a Ramones track)

Related to Stirling's approximation for Gamma functions with a negative argument

1. What is Stirling's approximation for Gamma functions with a negative argument?

Stirling's approximation is an approximation formula used to estimate the value of the Gamma function for negative arguments. It is based on the Stirling's formula, which is used to approximate the factorial function.

2. How accurate is Stirling's approximation for Gamma functions with a negative argument?

The accuracy of Stirling's approximation depends on the value of the negative argument. For small values, the approximation can be very accurate, but for larger values, the error increases. Generally, the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the negative argument becomes more negative.

3. How is Stirling's approximation derived?

Stirling's approximation is derived using the Euler-Maclaurin summation formula, which is a method for approximating sums using integrals. The formula is then applied to the Gamma function to obtain an approximation for negative arguments.

4. Can Stirling's approximation be used for all negative arguments?

No, Stirling's approximation is not valid for all negative arguments. It is only valid for negative arguments that are close to 0. As the negative argument becomes more negative, the accuracy of the approximation decreases and it eventually becomes invalid.

5. What is the purpose of using Stirling's approximation for Gamma functions with a negative argument?

Stirling's approximation is useful for simplifying complex calculations involving the Gamma function with negative arguments. It can also be used to estimate the value of the Gamma function for negative arguments when the exact value is not needed.

Back