Stochastic Calculus: Conditional Expectation

In summary: This makes sense to me.In summary, when calculating expected value for a discrete-valued random variable like W, it is important to specify the set of unique possible values it can take and the probability of each value. When considering Z as a function of X and Y, it is necessary to take into account all possible combinations of X and Y for a given value of Z, rather than using global averages.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
Homework Statement
. Suppose we roll two dice, a red and a green one, and let X
be the value on the red die and Y the value on the green die. Let Z = X/Y .
1)Find E[X + 2Y | Z].
2)Let W = E[Z | X]. What are the possible values for W? Give the
distribution of W.
Relevant Equations
Not applicable
1677485869430.png

1677485882966.png

1677485898774.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer to 1 is wrong, as you can easily check using some actual values of Z, e.g. for Z = 6, E(X+2Y) = 8.

Your mistake appears to be using global averages for ZY and Z, calculated over all combinations of X and Y. But for a given Z, not all combinations are possible. for example, for Z = 6, 5 or 4, Y can only have the value 1, and X the value of Z. For Z = 1, only combinations with X = Y are possible. Thus E[Y|Z] is not a constant but depends on Z.

Likes WMDhamnekar
To specify the distribution for a discrete-valued random variable like W you need to specify the set of unique possible values it can take, and the probability of each value.

You have identified above six possible values of W=E[Z|X], each corresponding to a different result X from the red die. Assuming that die is fair, what is the probability of each of those different values?

One thing remains: you need to check wheter any of the six values of W are the same, ie if two different values of X can give the same value of W. If any do, you need to combine them by adding their probabilities.

• Informative
Likes WMDhamnekar
I prepared two tables. Now how to compute E[X +2Y| Z]

1677775045533.png

1677775055629.png

For instance, for Z=1 in the second table, you have 6 equally likely possibilities for (X,Y): (1,1), (2,2), (3,3), (4,4), (5,5), (6,6).
In your first table, that gives: P(X+2Y | Z=1) = P( X+2Y = 3,6,9,12,15,18 | Z=1) = 1/6.

Likewise, for Z=1/2 in the second table, you have 3 equally likely possibilities for (X,Y): (1,2), (2,4), (3,6).
In your first table, that gives: P(X+2Y | Z=1/2) = P( X+2Y = 5,10,15 | Z=1/2) = 1/3.
Etc.
For each value of Z, you get a distribution of X+2Y values that sum to 1.
I don't see a short-cut way to calculate the expected value. I guess you might just have to tediously calculate it.

I'm a bit confused on your notation. Generally, in an expression E(X|Y), Y is an event, and X,Y are events in the same sample space. Maybe you mean E(X| Z=Zo) ?

Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:
For instance, for Z=1 in the second table, you have 6 equally likely possibilities for (X,Y): (1,1), (2,2), (3,3), (4,4), (5,5), (6,6).
In your first table, that gives: P(X+2Y | Z=1) = P( X+2Y = 3,6,9,12,15,18 | Z=1) = 1/6.

Likewise, for Z=1/2 in the second table, you have 3 equally likely possibilities for (X,Y): (1,2), (2,4), (3,6).
In your first table, that gives: P(X+2Y | Z=1/2) = P( X+2Y = 5,10,15 | Z=1/2) = 1/3.
Etc.
For each value of Z, you get a distribution of X+2Y values that sum to 1.
I don't see a short-cut way to calculate the expected value. I guess you might just have to tediously calculate it.
E[ X + 2Y | Z] = [3 + 6 + 9 + 12 + 15+ 18 =63]* 1/6 = 10.5 + [5 +10+15]*1/12= 2.5 + [7+ 14]*1/18 =1.1667 + [9 + 11 + 13 +12 + 11+ 13+ 6 + 10 +14 + 7 +9 + 11 +13 +17 + 8 +16 =179]*1/36 = 4.9722222 +[4 +8 +12=24]*1/12=2 + [ 8 +16=24]*1/18 = 1.33333 +[5 + 10 = 15]*1/18 =0.8333333 + [7 +14=21]*1/18 = 1.1667 = 24.47223

I guess that's right (I haven't checked your calculations). But I do have the same question as @WWGD.
Does the notation E(X+2Y | Z) mean the function, f(z), of z, f(z) = E(X+2Y | Z=z)? Or does it mean that you take an expected value over all possible values of Z as you did?

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
I guess that's right (I haven't checked your calculations). But I do have the same question as @WWGD.
Does the notation E(X+2Y | Z) mean the function, f(z), of z, f(z) = E(X+2Y | Z=z)? Or does it mean that you take an expected value over all possible values of Z as you did?
Suppose we roll two dice, one is red one and another one is green one. If we let the values on flipping the two dice be X and Y. ( X for the value on red die and Y for the value on green die). Then obviously X and Y values both lies in the same sample space and Z, the function of X and Y will take the value Z = X/Y.

WMDhamnekar said:
Suppose we roll two dice, one is red one and another one is green one. If we let the values on flipping the two dice be X and Y. ( X for the value on red die and Y for the value on green die). Then obviously X and Y values both lies in the same sample space and Z, the function of X and Y will take the value Z = X/Y.
I think that your interpretation of E(X+2Y | Z) is the likely correct one. You are keeping Z as a random variable rather than defining a specific event, Z=##z_0##.

Related to Stochastic Calculus: Conditional Expectation

What is conditional expectation in stochastic calculus?

Conditional expectation in stochastic calculus is the expected value of a random variable given a certain amount of information, typically represented by a sigma-algebra. It is a fundamental concept used to deal with the evolution of random processes over time, especially in the context of financial mathematics and other applied fields.

How is conditional expectation used in stochastic processes?

Conditional expectation is used in stochastic processes to predict future values of a process based on current and past information. It helps in the formulation of models such as the Black-Scholes model in finance, where the future price of an asset is predicted based on its current price and other relevant information.

What is the difference between conditional expectation and regular expectation?

Regular expectation is the average value of a random variable over all possible outcomes, while conditional expectation is the average value of a random variable given a specific subset of outcomes or information. Conditional expectation incorporates additional information and is more focused on a subset of the sample space.

How do you calculate conditional expectation in practice?

Calculating conditional expectation in practice often involves using properties of sigma-algebras and applying known distributions and their properties. For discrete random variables, it can be calculated by summing the product of the values and their conditional probabilities. For continuous random variables, it involves integrating the product of the values and their conditional density functions.

What are some applications of conditional expectation in real life?

Conditional expectation has numerous applications in real life, particularly in finance for option pricing and risk management, in insurance for calculating premiums and reserves, in economics for forecasting and decision-making, and in engineering for signal processing and control systems.