Stochastic Processes: Maximising profits $$

In summary: Start by writing down the formula for the expected profit for given production quantity Q, then see if you can simplify it down to a usable form, say F(Q). To figure out the expected profit maximizing Q, the typical approach in these discrete problems is to look at F(Q+1) - F(Q), and try to find where it switches sign, because that tells you when the graph of y = F(Q) turns over. But first, you need F(Q). I'm not sure how to write down the formula for the expected profit for a given production quantity Q. I think I understand that I should be looking at F(Q+1) - F(Q), but I don't understand what the graph of y = F(Q)
sunrah

Homework Statement

A company incurs manufacturing costs of $q per item. The product is sold at a retail price of $p per item with p > q. The customer demand K (e.g. number of items that will be sold when the number of items offered is large enough) is a discrete random variable in N. The probabilities P[K = k] = pk for all k in N is known through empirical analysis. How many items should the company produce to maximize the expectation value of its profit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i started with setting up a profit function G = pK - qx, where x is the number of items to be produced.
I then take the expectation value of the profit = E(G) = E(pK - qx) = pE(K) - qE(x) now what? I wanted to differentiate w.r.t. x but this won't help here.

I also don't see where I can substitute pk in: E(K) = Sum(E(k)pk) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
sunrah said:

Homework Statement

A company incurs manufacturing costs of $q per item. The product is sold at a retail price of $p per item with p > q. The customer demand K (e.g. number of items that will be sold when the number of items offered is large enough) is a discrete random variable in N. The probabilities P[K = k] = pk for all k in N is known through empirical analysis. How many items should the company produce to maximize the expectation value of its profit?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i started with setting up a profit function G = pK - qx, where x is the number of items to be produced.
I then take the expectation value of the profit = E(G) = E(pK - qx) = pE(K) - qE(x) now what? I wanted to differentiate w.r.t. x but this won't help here.

I also don't see where I can substitute pk in: E(K) = Sum(E(k)pk) ??

If K is the demand, the number of units sold is S = min(K,Q), where Q is the number produced; that is: if Q > K we sell all K units (and are left with Q-K units unsold), but if Q < K we sell Q (i.e., we sell everything we have available). You need to work out the expected value of S.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You need to work out the expected value of S.

yes, but how? I honestly have no idea.

x is not a random variable, E[x] = x.

As was pointed out in post #2, your G is not as it is given in your op:
[tex]
G(K, x) = \left\lbrace \begin{array}{rl}
(p - q) x &, x < K \\

p K - q x &, x \ge K
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

Last edited:
ok thanks, so differentiating E[G(K,x)]

[tex]
\frac{dE[G(K,x)]}{dx} = \left\lbrace \begin{array}{rl}
(p - q) &, x < K \\

- q &, x \ge K
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

so E[G(K,x)] is maximised when

[tex]
q = \left\lbrace \begin{array}{rl}
p &, x < K \\

0 &, x \ge K
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

Last edited:
sunrah said:
yes, but how? I honestly have no idea.

Start by writing down the formula for the expected profit for given production quantity Q, then see if you can simplify it down to a usable form, say F(Q). To figure out the expected profit maximizing Q, the typical approach in these discrete problems is to look at F(Q+1) - F(Q), and try to find where it switches sign, because that tells you when the graph of y = F(Q) turns over. But first, you need F(Q).

RGV

Last edited:
sunrah said:
ok thanks, so differentiating E[G(K,x)]

[tex]
\frac{dE[G(K,x)]}{dx} = \left\lbrace \begin{array}{rl}
(p - q) &, x < K \\

- q &, x \ge K
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

so E[G(K,x)] is maximised when

[tex]
q = \left\lbrace \begin{array}{rl}
p &, x < K (seems\ like\ this\ would\ minimise\ it\ to\ me) \\

0 &, x \ge K
\end{array} \right.
[/tex]

You can't do this. Of course, if you employed a perfect fortune-teller who could tell you exactly what the future demand K will be (before you produce anything) then you would produce exactly that value of x= K. However, that is not what happens. In reality, you first produce the x units then learn afterwards what K is. So, maybe you produced too much, or maybe you did not produce enough. You won't know until after all the money has been spent on production. You cannot avoid making an imperfect decision, but you can try to "win" in the long run, by maximizing the *expected* profit.

BTW, in problems like this, with discrete demand (= 0,1,2,3,...) the production quantity x will also be discrete, so generally you are not able to take the derivative dEG(x,K)/dx, but instead must work with a finite-difference EG(x+1,K) - EG(x,K).

RGV

Related to Stochastic Processes: Maximising profits $$

1. What is a stochastic process?

A stochastic process is a mathematical model that describes the evolution of a system over time, where the next state of the system is dependent on the current state and a random element. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of systems that involve randomness or uncertainty.

2. How can stochastic processes help maximize profits?

Stochastic processes can be used in finance and economics to model the behavior of stock prices, interest rates, and other variables that affect profits. By analyzing these processes and identifying patterns and trends, businesses can make informed decisions to optimize their profits.

3. What are some common types of stochastic processes?

Some common types of stochastic processes include Markov processes, Poisson processes, and Brownian motion. These processes have different applications and characteristics, but all involve randomness and uncertainty in their evolution over time.

4. How can businesses use stochastic processes to manage risk?

By understanding the behavior of stochastic processes, businesses can anticipate potential risks and uncertainties and develop strategies to mitigate them. This can help them make more informed decisions and minimize losses.

5. What are some examples of businesses using stochastic processes to maximize profits?

Some examples include using stochastic processes to analyze stock market trends and make investment decisions, predicting customer behavior and optimizing marketing strategies, and developing pricing models for insurance companies.