Stoichiometry Help: Find Empirical Formula & O2 Used

In summary, the conversation discusses a stoichiometry problem involving the burning of a hydrocarbon in air. The resulting products are CO, CO2, and H2O and the question asks for the empirical formula of the hydrocarbon and the amount of O2 used in the reaction. The solution involves finding the moles of each component and using that to determine the chemical equation. The final answer is C2H3 for the empirical formula and 1.19g of O2 used in the reaction.
bubbles
Hi. I need help on a stoichiometry problem:

When a particular hydrocarbon was burned in air, 0.467g of CO, 0.733g of CO2, and .450g of H2O were formed.

The question asks me to find the empirical formula of the hydrocarbon and the number of grams of O2 used in the reaction. The answers are C2H3(empirical formula) and 1.19g of O2, but I don't understand how to get the answers.

So far, I tried to find the empirical formula by finding out the number of moles of each compound. I got .017 mol Co, .017 mol CO2, and .025 mol water. So using this information, I was able to get a chemical equation of
[tex]Unknown Hydrocarbon + 9O_2 \rightarrow 4CO + 4CO_2 + 6H_2O[/tex]
But I don't know how to get the empirical formula from that.

Is this the correct step to take? Or should I try something else? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you should do is find the amount of moles of each component in the hydrocarbon. You have the moles for CO, CO2 and H20, now you can find the moles of each component (C, H).

Thank you, Ultima9999.:smile:

this problem is relatively tough...did you get the ans. or do you need help?

I got the answer after finding the mol of each element (I forgot to do that before!). Yeah, this problem was a tough one and took me a while to solve.

Related to Stoichiometry Help: Find Empirical Formula & O2 Used

1. What is stoichiometry and why is it important?

Stoichiometry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is important because it allows us to determine the amount of products that will be formed in a reaction, as well as the amount of reactants that are needed.

2. How do I find the empirical formula of a compound?

To find the empirical formula of a compound, you need to know the mass or moles of each element present in the compound. Then, you divide the number of moles or mass of each element by the smallest number of moles or mass to get the simplest whole number ratio. This ratio represents the empirical formula of the compound.

3. What is the purpose of finding the empirical formula?

The purpose of finding the empirical formula is to determine the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound. This information is important in determining the molecular formula and understanding the chemical composition of a substance.

4. How do I calculate the amount of O2 used in a reaction using stoichiometry?

To calculate the amount of O2 used in a reaction, you first need to balance the chemical equation and determine the moles of the other reactants or products involved. Then, using the mole ratio between O2 and the other substance, you can calculate the moles of O2 used in the reaction.

5. Can stoichiometry be used to predict the yield of a reaction?

Yes, stoichiometry can be used to predict the yield of a reaction. By knowing the amount of reactants present and using stoichiometric calculations, we can determine the theoretical yield of a reaction. However, the actual yield may differ due to various factors such as incomplete reactions or side reactions.