What Is the Molarity of the Oxalic Acid Solution in This RedOx Reaction?

In summary, the reaction between oxalic acid and dichromate ion in acidic solution produces carbon dioxide and chromium(III) ion. To find the molarity of the oxalic acid solution, the moles of dichromate ion were first calculated using the given information. Then, using the balanced equation and stoichiometry, the moles of oxalic acid were found. Finally, the molarity was calculated by dividing the moles by the volume of the solution. The mistake in the calculation was using the incorrect formula for dichromate ion, which resulted in an incorrect answer.
salman213
1. Oxalic acid, H2C2O4, reacts with dichromate ion, in acidic solution to produce carbon dioxide and chromium(III) ion.
If exactly 50.0 mL of an oxalic acid solution is required to react completely with 25.0 mL of a 0.0100 M dichromate solution, what is the molarity of the oxalic acid solution?

2. Molarity = Moles/Lsolution

3. well the equation i got was
H2C2O4 + CrO7 (2-)---> Cr (3+) + CO2

I used oxidation method to balance it to

9H2C2O4 + CrO7 ---> Cr + 7H2O + 4H + 18CO2

then i found moles of CrO7

molarity x L solution = 0.01 x (25/1000) = 0.00025 mol CrO7

then moles of H2C2O4 = 0.00025 mol CrO7 x 9 moles/1 mole

= 0.00225 moles H2C2O4

using this i divide by L solution to get molarity?

M = 0.00225 / (50/1000)

=0.045 M

But according to my online assignment i put that in and its WRONG :(

Maybe i balanced incorrectly or I am doing something else wrong
please help!

[/b]

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind i found my mistake i was using

CrO7 but obviously it is Cr2O7 :D::D:D thanks !

I would first verify the balanced equation and the stoichiometric coefficients used for each reactant and product. I would also check the units of the given concentrations and volumes to make sure they are consistent and can be used in the calculation for molarity. If the equation and units are correct, I would then check my calculations to see if there are any errors or missing steps. If everything appears to be correct, I would suggest double checking with a colleague or consulting a chemistry textbook or online resources for assistance. It is always important to double check your work and seek help if needed to ensure accurate results.

Related to What Is the Molarity of the Oxalic Acid Solution in This RedOx Reaction?

1. What is stoichiometry in a RedOx reaction?

Stoichiometry is the measurement of the relative quantities of reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. In a RedOx reaction, this involves determining the molar ratios of the oxidizing and reducing agents.

2. How do you balance a RedOx reaction?

To balance a RedOx reaction, you must first separate the reaction into two half-reactions: one for the oxidation process and one for the reduction process. Then, balance the elements in each half-reaction by adding or removing electrons. Finally, balance the overall charge by multiplying one or both half-reactions by a coefficient.

3. What is the purpose of stoichiometry in RedOx reactions?

The purpose of stoichiometry in RedOx reactions is to determine the exact amount of reactants needed to produce a desired amount of product. This can also be used to calculate the amount of excess reactant or limiting reactant in a reaction.

4. How does stoichiometry affect the yield of a RedOx reaction?

Stoichiometry plays a crucial role in the yield of a RedOx reaction. If the reactants are not present in the correct ratio, the reaction may not proceed to completion and the yield of the desired product will be affected. Additionally, any impurities or side reactions can also impact the yield.

5. Can stoichiometry be applied to non-ideal conditions in a RedOx reaction?

While stoichiometry is typically used under ideal conditions, it can also be applied to non-ideal conditions in a RedOx reaction. However, the calculations may be less accurate due to factors such as impurities, side reactions, and unexpected changes in reaction conditions.