Stokes Number for Particle Motion?

In summary: Overall, while the Stokes number can provide some insight, it may not be the only factor to consider in this situation. In summary, the Stokes number can be used to determine if particles will follow streamlines, but other factors such as drag forces and tube shape may also need to be considered in this scenario.
Mary_089
Hello,
I have a question... With the Stokes Number you can derive if particles follow a streamline or not, right? Let's say I am in a windtunnel, the wind is coming from the east. And I have a tube in the wind tunnel (horizontally located) which is 180° opposite to the flow (the opening of the tube is located to the west), and which sucks air with a known flow into the tube. Now I want to know which particles (which diameter) will follow the streamlines to get inside the tube.
In principal, the Stokes Number would be appropriate... But i does not consider the flow inside the tube and the bend streamlines. So I am kind of helpless right now.

Thanks for any hints :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use the Stokes number to determine if particles will follow the streamlines or not. However, it is important to note that the Stokes number does not take into account the flow inside the tube and the bend of the streamlines. Therefore, it is necessary to consider other factors when determining if particles will follow the streamlines into the tube. For example, you may need to consider the drag forces acting on the particles in the flow. Additionally, the shape and size of the tube opening could also be important in determining whether particles will enter the tube or not.

Related to Stokes Number for Particle Motion?

What is the Stokes Number for Particle Motion?

The Stokes Number for Particle Motion is a dimensionless number used in fluid mechanics to describe the behavior of small particles in a fluid flow. It is defined as the ratio of a particle's response time to the characteristic time scale of the flow.

How is the Stokes Number calculated?

The Stokes Number is calculated by dividing the particle's response time (typically its relaxation time) by the characteristic time scale of the flow. In other words, it is the ratio of the particle's inertia to the fluid's viscous forces.

What does the Stokes Number tell us about particle motion?

The Stokes Number provides information about how particles behave in a fluid flow. A low Stokes Number means that the particle closely follows the flow, while a high Stokes Number means that the particle has a significant inertia and may not follow the flow accurately.

Why is the Stokes Number important in fluid mechanics?

The Stokes Number is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of particles in fluid flows. It can be used to determine if particles will settle or be carried along with the flow, and it also affects the efficiency of processes such as filtration and sedimentation.

How does the Stokes Number relate to particle size?

The Stokes Number is inversely proportional to particle size. This means that larger particles will have a lower Stokes Number and will be more likely to settle or remain suspended in the fluid flow, while smaller particles will have a higher Stokes Number and will be more easily carried by the flow.