Stokes theorem, parametrizing composite curves

In summary, the problem is to calculate the line integral of the vector field F = <xz, (xy2 + 2z), (xy + z)> along different curves. The first curve is given by x = 0, y2 + z2 = 1, z > 0, and y: -1 → 1. The second curve is given by z = 0, x + y = 1, and y: 1→0. The third curve is given by z = 0, x-y = 1, and y: 0 → -1. The curl of the vector field is <x-2,x-y,y^2>, and it is suggested to use Stokes theorem
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

Calculate the line integral:

F = <xz, (xy2 + 2z), (xy + z)>

along the curve given by:

1) x = 0, y2 + z2 = 1, z > 0, y: -1 → 1
2) z = 0, x + y = 1, y: 1→0
3) z = 0, x-y = 1, y: 0 → -1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think the problem is very difficult when just dividing the line integral into three parts, calculating each separately. But I want to be thorough to see if I got all the concepts.

I tried to draw the curve (see attachment) which made me realize a cone cut in half would be a capping surface, so we should be able to apply Stokes theorem. But I'm having trouble parametrizing it since we've basically dealt exclusively with very standard parametrizations.

I think that one parameter should be the height of the cone, h = [itex]\sqrt{y^{2}+z^{2}[/itex] running from 0 to 1 and the other should be the angle in the xz-plane running from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. I'm just having trouble setting up the variable substitution. Can anyone give me a push?

Attachments

• semicone.jpg
    semicone.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Gauss M.D.! :smile:

Before you spend time trying to apply stokes …

what is the curl? :wink:

<x-2,x-y,y^2>... you're saying Stokes theorem is a bad idea here?

stokes is useful if the curl is 0, or something simple

which do you think is easier, integrating that curl over that curved surface, or integrating the original line integral directly? :smile:

FAQ: Stokes theorem, parametrizing composite curves

What is Stokes theorem?

Stokes theorem is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the line integral of the same vector field along the boundary of the surface.

What is the significance of Stokes theorem?

Stokes theorem is important because it allows us to calculate difficult surface integrals by converting them into simpler line integrals. This makes it a powerful tool in solving problems in physics and engineering.

How is Stokes theorem related to Green's theorem?

Stokes theorem is a generalization of Green's theorem, which relates the double integral of a scalar function over a region in the xy-plane to the line integral of the same function along the boundary of the region. Stokes theorem extends this concept to surfaces in three dimensions.

What is the process of parametrizing composite curves?

Parametrizing composite curves involves breaking a curve into smaller segments and assigning parametric equations to each segment. This allows us to define a continuous function that describes the entire curve. It is an important step in using Stokes theorem to evaluate line integrals.

What are some real-world applications of Stokes theorem and parametrizing composite curves?

Stokes theorem and parametrizing composite curves are used in a variety of fields, including fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and differential geometry. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth and realistic curves and surfaces.