Stopping Distance (Friction and Kinematics)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the shortest distance an automobile can be stopped on dry and wet pavement by locking the brakes. The calculation involves finding the frictional force using the coefficient of kinetic friction and free fall acceleration, and using the equation Fnet=ma to solve for the distance. For the second part, the same process is used, however, the coefficient of kinetic friction is different for wet pavement. The final answer for the speed on wet pavement is found to be 15.6 m/s.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

If the coefficient of kinetic friction between tires and dry pavement is 0.800, what is the shortest distance in which an automobile can be stopped by locking the brakes when traveling at 27.9 m/s?
Take the free fall acceleration to be g = 9.80 m/s^2.

On wet pavement the coefficient of kinetic friction may be only 0.250. How fast should you drive on wet pavement in order to be able to stop in the same distance as in part (a)? (Note: Locking the brakes is not the safest way to stop.)

For the first part, I did

Weight = mg -> m(-9.80) = w

And Fn = 9.80m

I found the frictional force = [tex]\mu[/tex]k*Fn

Frictional Force = (.800)*9.80m = 7.84m

From here what should I do? Fnet = ma so therefore

ma=7.84m

a = 7.84m/s^2

Then using Vfinal^2=Vinitial^2+2a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x

[tex]\Delta[/tex]x= 49.6 m ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. That's fine. If you are writing it up to turn in I'd suggest putting units on numbers that have units. Like '9.8' should be '9.8*m/s^2'. To avoid confusion with m=mass and m=meters you might want to use a different symbol for mass.

For part B, is the answer 15.6m/s?

Frictional Force = (.250)(9.80m) = 2.45m

ma=2.45m

a=2.45m/s^2

Vf = 0

and plugging in the values

Vfinal^2=Vinitial^2+2a/\ x

Vintial = 15.6m/s ?

The thing is, if I solved it using that equation, I ended up having to square root a negative number which is not possible to do. I had to square root -243.04 but instead just squared 243.04 to get my answer. Is it even correct? If so, where did I go wrong with ending up with a negative sign?

Your answer is right again. Vfinal should be 0. And in both cases 'a' should correctly speaking, be negative. You are decelerating. You should have run into the same problem in the first case, if you were really paying close attention to signs. I wasn't.

Last edited:

Related to Stopping Distance (Friction and Kinematics)

What is stopping distance?

Stopping distance is the distance a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

What factors affect stopping distance?

The main factors that affect stopping distance are the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the road surface, and the condition of the vehicle's brakes and tires.

How does friction play a role in stopping distance?

Friction is the force that allows a vehicle's tires to grip the road surface. When the brakes are applied, friction between the tires and the road surface slows down the vehicle and helps it come to a stop.

What is the relationship between speed and stopping distance?

The higher the speed of the vehicle, the longer the stopping distance will be. This is because at higher speeds, the vehicle has more kinetic energy that needs to be dissipated through friction in order to come to a stop.

How can stopping distance be calculated?

Stopping distance can be calculated using the formula: stopping distance = initial velocity² / (2 x deceleration). Deceleration is the rate at which the vehicle slows down, which is affected by factors such as friction and the vehicle's braking system.