Strain Gauges for small cylinders

In summary, the conversation is about finding strain gauges for small cylinders, specifically for a cylinder no bigger than 3mm. The person has searched for solutions but could only find larger options like piezoelectric sensor rings and larger circular diaphragm gauges. They are seeking guidance from someone familiar with strain gauges and suggest looking into gas turbine blades as well.
EricR
Hello all,

I would like to know if there are strain gauges out there that could be used for small cylinders.

To describe the problem/design more thoroughly, I am trying to design (or purchase) a cylinder no bigger than 3mm. When the end of the cylinder is compressed (across the circular cross-section, not along the axis of the cylinder itself) we get a voltage change that I can then correlate to Force.

I have googled for several hours and thought about this problem for several weeks. The only solutions I could find were too large such are piezoelectric sensor rings and other sensor rings, as well as larger circular diaphragm gauges.

If someone is more familiar with these types of gauges I could use some guidance as to whether this is possible.

It seems reasonable to me that somewhere out there, there exists a sort of capacitive sensor with a conductive core and exterior and some insulation in between all bundled up in a cylinder. Again I am no expert and my strain gauge experience ends at slapping them on cantilever beams and hanging weights.

Thanks for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Include "gas turbine blades" in your search. You may even have to make some phone calls to the strain gauge distributors to find the ones designed to put onto blades in a spinning gas turbine. You are looking for the ones for the compressor section where they don't have to be designed for high temperates.

Related to Strain Gauges for small cylinders

1. What are strain gauges and how do they work?

Strain gauges are devices used to measure the strain or deformation of an object. They work by converting mechanical deformation into an electrical signal, which can then be measured and analyzed.

2. How are strain gauges used for small cylinders?

Strain gauges can be attached to the surface of a small cylinder to measure any changes in its diameter or circumference due to applied forces. This allows for the measurement of strain and stress on the cylinder, providing valuable data for analysis.

3. What factors should be considered when choosing a strain gauge for a small cylinder?

Some important factors to consider when selecting a strain gauge for small cylinders include the gauge's sensitivity, temperature range, and compatibility with the material of the cylinder. It is also important to consider the required accuracy and resolution of the measurements.

4. How are strain gauges attached to small cylinders?

Strain gauges can be attached to small cylinders using adhesive or by welding. Adhesive bonding is a common method for temporary measurements, while welding is a more permanent solution. It is important to ensure proper surface preparation and application techniques for accurate and reliable measurements.

5. Can strain gauges be used for both static and dynamic measurements on small cylinders?

Yes, strain gauges can be used for both static and dynamic measurements on small cylinders. However, different types of strain gauges may be more suitable for each application. For dynamic measurements, it is important to consider the gauge's frequency response and durability under repeated loading.