Strange invocation of Taylor series

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Taylor expansions to approximate the potential in Lagrangian equations. The confusion stemmed from the different forms of the Taylor series, but it was clarified that the expression was a derivative and the use of a=x as the point of approximation.
noahcharris
Hi all,

I was working through a chapter on Lagrangians when I cam across this:

"Using a Taylor expansion, the potential can be approximated as
## V(x+ \epsilon) \approx V(x)+\epsilon \frac{dV}{dx} ##"

Now this looks nothing like any taylor expansion I've seen before. I'm used to

## f(x) = \sum\frac{f^{(i)}(a)(x-a)^i}{i!} ##

What am I missing here?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
noahcharris said:
Hi all,

I was working through a chapter on Lagrangians when I cam across this:

"Using a Taylor expansion, the potential can be approximated as
## V(x+ \epsilon) \approx V(x)+\epsilon \frac{dV}{dx} ##"

Now this looks nothing like any taylor expansion I've seen before. I'm used to

## f(x) = \sum\frac{f^{(i)}(a)(x-a)^i}{i!} ##

What am I missing here?
You just need to expand the definition of the Taylor series over the first couple of terms. Remember to account for x + ε as the argument of V(x).

Likes noahcharris
What are the first two terms with a = x + ξ ?

Likes noahcharris
paisiello2 said:
What are the first two terms with a = x + ξ ?

Looks like it's ## f(x) \approx f(x + \epsilon) - f^1(x + \epsilon)\epsilon ##

Oh, ok, I see now. So the ##\frac{dV}{dx}## is really a ##\frac{dV(x + \epsilon)}{dx}## ??

You don't even need to use a Taylor series. Just use the definition of a derivative:
[tex] \frac{dV}{dx}= \lim_{\epsilon \to 0} \frac{V(x+\epsilon)-V(x)}{\epsilon}[/tex]
Therefore, for smaller and smaller [itex]\epsilon[/itex], the above becomes a better and better approximation. The expression from your first post just comes from taking the above equation, dropping the limit, and isolating [itex]V(x+\epsilon)[/itex].

Likes noahcharris
noahcharris said:
Looks like it's ## f(x) \approx f(x + \epsilon) - f^1(x + \epsilon)\epsilon ##

Oh, ok, I see now. So the ##\frac{dV}{dx}## is really a ##\frac{dV(x + \epsilon)}{dx}## ??
Sorry, do what SteamKing suggested but also take a=x as where the approximation is taken from. That should give the same answer.

Ok I finally figured it out. I was wrong in my previous comment. ## x \mapsto x + \epsilon ## and ## a = x ##
Thanks everyone.

Related to Strange invocation of Taylor series

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms. Each term in the series is a polynomial approximation of the original function, with higher order terms providing a more accurate representation.

2. How is a Taylor series used in science?

Taylor series are used in science to approximate functions that are difficult to solve or to provide a simpler representation of a complex function. They are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other branches of science to model physical phenomena.

3. What makes an invocation of a Taylor series "strange"?

The term "strange" is often used in reference to a Taylor series when the function being approximated has unusual or unexpected behavior. This may occur when the function has a singularity or discontinuity, or when the series does not converge to the original function within a desired interval.

4. Are there limitations to using a Taylor series?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Taylor series. The series may not converge for all values of the variable, and the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the distance from the center point increases. Additionally, Taylor series are only able to approximate smooth functions and may not be suitable for functions with sharp changes or corners.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of a Taylor series approximation?

The accuracy of a Taylor series can be improved by using more terms in the series, choosing a center point closer to the desired value, or using a different type of series (such as a Maclaurin series). Additionally, using a Taylor series with a smaller interval can also improve the accuracy of the approximation.