Strange plotting behaviour- Mathematica 8

In summary: Another possibility is that your functions do not exactly follow the form of 1/x^n for large x, which could explain why they do not behave like a straight line on a LogLogPlot. It may be helpful to compare your functions to x^(-4) over a larger range to see if they eventually converge to a straight line. Overall, it is important to carefully consider the behavior of your functions and the range of your plot in order to accurately interpret the results.
muppet
I'm confused by Mathematica's behaviour when plotting some functions I've constructed by interpolating functions. I have three graphs (attached). The first is a plot of the family of functions; they're negative, and decreasing to zero. I tried to do a LogLogPlot to look at their behaviour as they decay, and it looks as if the functions decay to one, as if I was actually plotting Log(f(x)) for small f.

I was looking to see if these functions behaved like 1/x^n for large x, and when comparing one function to x^(-4) it doesn't look as if I'm getting the straight line I expect on a LogLogPlot.

Can someone please explain why? I should point out that my functions are on the order of 10^(-10) over the region I'm plotting.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2012-09-13 19:30:07.png
    Screenshot from 2012-09-13 19:30:07.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 470
  • loglogplot2.png
    loglogplot2.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 465
Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible that Mathematica is plotting Log(f(x)) instead of Log[f(x)]. This could be due to the fact that f(x) is very close to 0 for the range you are plotting. Mathematica may be interpreting your input as Log(f(x)) instead of Log[f(x)] because it is more numerically stable. If this is the case, then you will need to adjust your plotting range so that f(x) is greater than 0. This should reduce the numerical instability and allow Mathematica to interpret your input correctly.

Related to Strange plotting behaviour- Mathematica 8

What is "strange plotting behaviour" in Mathematica 8?

"Strange plotting behaviour" refers to unexpected or inconsistent results when using the plotting functions in Mathematica 8. This can include incorrect or distorted graphs, missing data points, or other anomalies.

Why am I getting strange plotting behaviour in Mathematica 8?

There are several potential reasons for this, including incorrect input data, incorrect settings or options, or a bug in the software. It is important to carefully check your input and settings to ensure they are correct before assuming that there is a bug.

How can I fix strange plotting behaviour in Mathematica 8?

If the issue is due to incorrect input or settings, you can try adjusting them to see if it resolves the problem. You can also try restarting Mathematica or updating to the latest version. If the issue persists, you can report it to Wolfram Support for assistance.

Is there a way to prevent strange plotting behaviour in Mathematica 8?

There is no foolproof method to prevent all instances of strange plotting behaviour, but you can minimize the likelihood by carefully checking your input and settings, and regularly updating to the latest version of Mathematica.

Are there any known bugs or issues related to plotting in Mathematica 8?

Yes, there have been some reported bugs and issues related to plotting in Mathematica 8. These can vary depending on the specific version and operating system being used. It is recommended to check the Wolfram website or community forums for any known issues and possible workarounds.