Stray capacitance -- how to calculate formula....

In summary, the conversation is about understanding and calculating stray capacitance in a radio receiver circuit. The individual is seeking help in determining the standard value of stray capacitance and how to calculate it. They are also discussing the components that contribute to stray capacitance and how to measure them. Despite some language barriers, the individual thanks the other person for their help and understanding.
michael1978
ice_screenshot_20170623-230650.png
Hello,
i am reading one book over the "tenichians radio receiver handbook", but there was a stray capacitance

can somebody help me, how to calculate stray capacitance?
of what arethe standard value of stray capacitance

thanks.

YES do you see the circuits
the stray capacitance is 7pf and 320pf main and trimmer 21pf

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
michael1978 said:
Hello,
i am reading one book over the "tenichians radio receiver handbook", but there was a stray capacitance

can somebody help me, how to calculate stray capacitance?
of what arethe standard value of stray capacitance

thanks.
Can you please give more details of which stray capacitance you require? For instance, is it the capacitance of a coil, or wiring, or that of a tube.

yes do you see i edit look the circuits, me i don't understand how come in 7pf cstray i don't have ideathnx

Please write in complete sentences, and use correct capitalization and punctuation. That's the rule here at PF.

Likes jim hardy
Hello @michael1978

Stray capacitance is "extra" capacitance that usually can not be exactly calculated. It is the sum of the capacitance of the coil, of what the circuit is connected to (maybe a transistor or a vacuum tube), and the capacitance of the wires and of the components to other nearby things. The capacitance of the coil can be indirectly measured, of a transistor or tube can be found in the datasheet, of a wire can be not-very-well calculated (for an example see: https://www.emisoftware.com/calculator/wire-over-ground-plane-capacitance/ ). A wire with plastic insulation laying flat on a metal chassis has a capacitance of 1 to 2 picofarads per centimeter of length.

Likes michael1978 and davenn
Tom.G said:
Hello @michael1978

Stray capacitance is "extra" capacitance that usually can not be exactly calculated. It is the sum of the capacitance of the coil, of what the circuit is connected to (maybe a transistor or a vacuum tube), and the capacitance of the wires and of the components to other nearby things. The capacitance of the coil can be indirectly measured, of a transistor or tube can be found in the datasheet, of a wire can be not-very-well calculated (for an example see: https://www.emisoftware.com/calculator/wire-over-ground-plane-capacitance/ ). A wire with plastic insulation laying flat on a metal chassis has a capacitance of 1 to 2 picofarads per centimeter of length.
thank you ...now i understand.

marcusl said:
Please write in complete sentences, and use correct capitalization and punctuation. That's the rule here at PF.
sorry but my english is not good...ihope you understand me.

Likes Merlin3189

FAQ: Stray capacitance -- how to calculate formula....

What is stray capacitance and why is it important?

Stray capacitance is the unwanted capacitance that exists between two conductors that are not intended to be electrically connected. This can cause interference and affect the performance of electronic circuits. It is important to understand and account for stray capacitance in circuit design to ensure proper functioning of the circuit.

How is stray capacitance calculated?

The formula for calculating stray capacitance is C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance in Farads, ε is the permittivity of the material between the conductors, A is the area of the conductors, and d is the distance between them. This formula assumes a parallel plate capacitor model and can be used to estimate the stray capacitance in a given circuit.

What are some common sources of stray capacitance?

Stray capacitance can come from a variety of sources, such as PCB traces, wires, components, and even the air surrounding the circuit. It can also be affected by the geometry and materials used in the circuit, as well as the proximity of other conductive elements.

How can stray capacitance be reduced?

To reduce stray capacitance, it is important to keep the distance between conductors as large as possible and minimize the surface area of the conductors. Using low permittivity materials and proper shielding can also help to reduce stray capacitance.

What are some potential consequences of not accounting for stray capacitance in circuit design?

If stray capacitance is not taken into consideration, it can lead to interference and instability in the circuit. This can result in malfunctions, incorrect readings, and overall poor performance. It is therefore important to properly calculate and account for stray capacitance in circuit design.

Back