Streamline Symbolic Derivatives with MATLAB's Simplify Operation

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter ergospherical
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation is about using MATLAB for symbolic derivatives and the potential for simplifying long outputs. The "simplify" operation in MATLAB is not very effective, but Mathematica is better for symbolic computation.
ergospherical
I am using MATLAB to compute a few symbolic derivatives. The outputs are correct (I've checked a few of them) but usually long and never simplified (even when "obvious" simplifications are possible, i.e. combining terms, cancelling things). Is there a way to get MATLAB to simplify symbolic expressions?

I found the "simplify" operation - doesn't seem to do much...

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
How about mathematica?
Actually works a lot better - might switch to this instead. Cheers!

Likes jedishrfu
Mathematica is better if you need symbolic computation. MATLAB is more for numerical computation.

Likes jedishrfu

Related to Streamline Symbolic Derivatives with MATLAB's Simplify Operation

What is the simplify operation in MATLAB?

The simplify operation in MATLAB is a function that reduces symbolic expressions to their simplest form. It applies various algebraic transformations and simplifications to make expressions more concise and easier to interpret.

How can I use the simplify function for symbolic derivatives in MATLAB?

To use the simplify function for symbolic derivatives in MATLAB, you first need to define your symbolic variables and expressions. After computing the derivative using the diff function, you can then apply simplify to the result to obtain a simplified version of the derivative.

What are the benefits of using the simplify function for symbolic derivatives?

The main benefits of using the simplify function for symbolic derivatives include making the expressions more readable, reducing computational complexity, and aiding in the interpretation and further manipulation of the results. Simplified expressions are often easier to analyze and use in subsequent calculations.

Can the simplify function always find the simplest form of a symbolic derivative?

While the simplify function is powerful and can reduce most expressions significantly, it may not always find the absolute simplest form due to the inherent complexity of symbolic mathematics. However, it generally provides a much more manageable form than the original expression.

Are there any limitations or considerations when using the simplify function in MATLAB?

One limitation of the simplify function is that it can be computationally intensive for very complex expressions. Additionally, the resulting simplified form may sometimes depend on the specific transformations applied, which can vary. Users should also be aware that different versions of MATLAB might have slight variations in the simplify function's behavior.