Strength of induced magnetic field inside an inductor

In summary, the strength of the magnetic field in a coil gun is affected by both the inductance of the coil and the strength of the current running through it. The diameter of the wire used for the inductor also plays a role in determining the maximum current that can be used. Making a longer coil may create a stronger magnetic field, but it could also just create a longer acceleration area. The equation B=unI applies, and if the coils are wrapped tightly along the entire length, the number of turns (n) will remain the same. Additional resources and equations can be found through online research.
warfreak131
I am trying to make a crude coil gun. I remember that if I run current through a coil of wire, it generates a magnetic field according to the right hand rule. Will the inductance of the coil of wire greatly affect the strength of the magnetic field, or is it mainly due to the strength of the current being run through the coil?

If possibly, can you provide me with a link to a website with more information or some equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there

both, but remember that the diameter (gauge) of the wire used for the inductor will determine what the max current you can put through it before it fuses.

remember google is your friend ... here's just 1 of 1000's of links on the subject
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_15/1.html
cheers
Dave

thanks! also, let's assume I'm using a certain gauge of wire, and I'm wrapping them as close together. would making a longer coil create a stronger magnetic field? or would it only serve to make a longer acceleration area?

if B=unI, and I am wrapping them to the max tightness along the entire length, n would stay the same right?

Related to Strength of induced magnetic field inside an inductor

1. What factors affect the strength of the induced magnetic field inside an inductor?

The strength of the induced magnetic field inside an inductor is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flowing through the coil, and the material of the core. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

2. How does the shape of an inductor affect its magnetic field strength?

The shape of an inductor does not have a significant impact on the strength of its magnetic field. The number of turns and the current are much more influential factors.

3. Can the strength of the magnetic field inside an inductor be controlled?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field inside an inductor can be controlled by adjusting the current flowing through the coil. This can be done by changing the voltage or using a variable resistor.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field inside an inductor change over time?

According to Faraday's law, the strength of the magnetic field inside an inductor will change when there is a change in the current flowing through the coil. This change can be either an increase or decrease, depending on the direction of the current change.

5. Is there a limit to the strength of the magnetic field inside an inductor?

Yes, there is a limit to the strength of the magnetic field inside an inductor. This limit is determined by the material of the core and the maximum current that the inductor can handle without overheating. Going beyond this limit can result in the inductor being damaged.