Stress on an Axially Loaded Beam

• Thread starter paxprobellum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Stress
In summary, the stress at the top and bottom of the beam are different due to the applied moment and the lever arm.
paxprobellum

Homework Statement

Consider a cantilever beam of length L where a force F is applied in compression at the bottom of the beam. (An off-center axial point load.) Determine the stress at the top and bottom of the beam at x=L/2.

Homework Equations

There is both compressive and bending stress in the beam. The compressive stress is -F/A and the bending stress is My/I, where F is the force, A is the cross sectional area, M is the applied bending force, y is the distance to the neutral axis, and I is the second moment of area.

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying this force is the same as a pure bending moment, except you gain additional compressive stress. Thus, at all points in the beam, the stress is:

S = -F/A + My/I

Most of the beam will be in compression, and a smaller part of the beam will be in tension.

My difficulty is determining what M is. In cantilever problems with transverse loads, M = M(x) = F*(L-x). I have a feeling M is not a function of x, but is constant over the whole beam. I think its F*d, where d is the thickness of the beam, but I'm not really sure why this is the case.

Physics news on Phys.org
paxprobellum said:
I have a feeling M is not a function of x, but is constant over the whole beam.

Agreed. Could the lever arm that produces M have something to do with the nature of the off-axis load...?

Mapes said:
Agreed. Could the lever arm that produces M have something to do with the nature of the off-axis load...?

Yes. The moment is produced due to the lever arm. I suppose the lever arm appears as the force drifts from the center. So the lever arm must be the distance to the center of the beam, or half the thickness.

Good?

Sounds good.

Mapes said:
Sounds good.

Thanks ;)

Related to Stress on an Axially Loaded Beam

1. What is stress on an axially loaded beam?

Stress on an axially loaded beam refers to the internal force per unit area that is created when a beam is subjected to an axial load, also known as a compressive or tensile load, along its length. This stress is responsible for the deformation and potential failure of the beam.

2. How is stress calculated on an axially loaded beam?

The stress on an axially loaded beam can be calculated using the formula: stress = force / cross-sectional area. This means that the greater the force acting on the beam and the smaller the cross-sectional area, the higher the stress will be.

3. What factors can affect the stress on an axially loaded beam?

The stress on an axially loaded beam can be affected by several factors including the magnitude and direction of the applied load, the material properties of the beam, and its geometry and cross-sectional shape. Other factors such as temperature, corrosion, and vibrations can also affect the stress on a beam.

4. What are the different types of stress on an axially loaded beam?

There are two main types of stress that can occur on an axially loaded beam: compressive stress and tensile stress. Compressive stress occurs when the beam is being pushed together, while tensile stress occurs when the beam is being pulled apart. Both types of stress can cause the beam to deform or eventually fail if they exceed the beam's strength.

5. How can stress on an axially loaded beam be reduced or controlled?

To reduce or control stress on an axially loaded beam, various measures can be taken such as increasing the beam's cross-sectional area, using stronger materials, or changing the beam's design. Additionally, external support structures or reinforcements can also be added to help distribute the load and reduce stress on the beam.