Stress Strain Curve: Explaining Beyond UTS

In summary, when a material is stretched beyond its ultimate tensile stress, the stress level required to increase the strain diminishes increasingly rapidly. This can be seen in the curve of stress vs strain, where the slope decreases beyond the tensile strength. This behavior is known as decreasing and negative stiffness and is related to the material's elastic deformation.
Nemo's

Homework Statement

Explain in terms of stress and strain what happens to the stretched material beyond the ultimate tensile stress.

Homework Equations

A curve similar to this

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that the curve beyond UTS represents increasing stiffness but i can't really explain why or relate this to strain.( Does the zero gradient at uts mean zero stiffness ?)

Attachments

• StressStrainCurve.gif
    StressStrainCurve.gif
    8.8 KB · Views: 561
Physics news on Phys.org
Nemo's said:
I can see that the curve beyond UTS represents increasing stiffness
Decreasing (and negative)?
but i can't really explain why or relate this to strain.( Does the zero gradient at uts mean zero stiffness ?)
Yes. Stiffness would be the slope, no?
But the question doesn't mention stiffness. It just asks you to discuss what's happening to the sample in terms of stress and strain.

But the question doesn't mention stiffness. It just asks you to discuss what's happening to the sample in terms of stress and strain.
So Can I just say that as the strain increases the stress decreases at an increasing rate?
I thought I had to mention the quantity represented by the slope in these curve-related questions.
I only said stiffness because I know that the Young Modulus is only related to the linear part of the curve.( Honestly I don't know which name to give the slope in this part)

Nemo's said:
So Can I just say that as the strain increases the stress decreases at an increasing rate?
Not sure that makes physical sense. Think of the test set-up. You, the experimenter, supply the stress. The test sample cannot control the stress on it. I would say that beyond the tensile strength (i.e. the peak stress) the stress level required to increase the strain diminishes increasingly rapidly.
I thought I had to mention the quantity represented by the slope in these curve-related questions.
I only said stiffness because I know that the Young Modulus is only related to the linear part of the curve.( Honestly I don't know which name to give the slope in this part)

From what I read, referring to stiffness does not solve that. That also refers to elastic deformation. This link is useful: http://www.etomica.org/app/modules/sites/MaterialFracture/Background1.html

haruspex said:
I would say that beyond the tensile strength (i.e. the peak stress) the stress level required to increase the strain diminishes increasingly rapidly.
Yes this makes a lot more sense.
Thanks a lot :)

haruspex said:
I would say that beyond the tensile strength (i.e. the peak stress) the stress level required to increase the strain diminishes increasingly rapidly.
Yes this makes a lot more sense.
Thanks a lot :)

Related to Stress Strain Curve: Explaining Beyond UTS

1. What is a stress-strain curve?

A stress-strain curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the stress and strain of a material under tension. It shows how the material behaves under increasing levels of stress, ultimately leading to failure.

2. How is the stress-strain curve created?

The stress-strain curve is created by applying a gradually increasing tensile force to a test specimen and measuring the corresponding change in length. This data is then plotted on a graph, with stress on the y-axis and strain on the x-axis.

3. What does the shape of the stress-strain curve indicate?

The shape of the stress-strain curve can indicate the mechanical properties of a material, such as its stiffness, strength, and ductility. The slope of the curve represents the material's stiffness, while the peak of the curve represents its maximum strength. The area under the curve represents the material's toughness or ability to absorb energy before failure.

4. What is the significance of the ultimate tensile strength (UTS) on the stress-strain curve?

The ultimate tensile strength (UTS) is the maximum stress that a material can withstand before it breaks. It is an important value on the stress-strain curve as it represents the material's maximum strength and provides a measure of its ability to resist deformation under tension.

5. Can the stress-strain curve be used to compare different materials?

Yes, the stress-strain curve can be used to compare different materials as it shows how each material behaves under tension. By comparing the slope, peak, and area under the curve, we can determine which material is stiffer, stronger, and tougher. However, it is important to note that the stress-strain curve may vary depending on factors such as temperature and material processing, so direct comparisons should be made with caution.