Stress Tensor Homework: Finding Traction Vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between traction vectors and the rows of a stress tensor. The participant was trying to find a surface with a normal vector that forms the same angle with all three coordinate axes and then dot this normal vector with the stress tensor to determine the traction vector. However, the result obtained was not one of the three given traction vectors, leading to a discussion about the infinite number of possible traction vectors. The use of a unit vector was confirmed as a correct method for finding the desired traction vector.
racnna

Homework Statement

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9577/stresstensor.png

Homework Equations

'traction vectors' are just the rows of the stress tensor. that is, the first row of the stress tensor(the i-component of the tensor) is the first traction vector, second row is the second,etc.
traction vector equation is
[tex]tn=n dot T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was trying to find a surface whose normal vector forms the same angle with the three coordinate axes. and then dot this normal vector with the stress tensor in order to determine the traction vector. but the result i get is not any of the three given traction vectors

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
uh oh...58 views and no replies? i am positive you experts have encountered stuff like this...there are much harder problems on this forum! if it helps, please IGNORE my post about relevant equations and just focus on the problem statement

alright...and let me know if there's any confusion about the problem statement

racnna said:
I was trying to find a surface whose normal vector forms the same angle with the three coordinate axes. and then dot this normal vector with the stress tensor in order to determine the traction vector. but the result i get is not any of the three given traction vectors

What result do you get? Why do you think there are only 3 traction vectors?

racnna said:
uh oh...58 views and no replies? i am positive you experts have encountered stuff like this...there are much harder problems on this forum! if it helps, please IGNORE my post about relevant equations and just focus on the problem statement

alright...and let me know if there's any confusion about the problem statement

Please exercise some patience. Most students are still on summer break, and homework helpers do not check the forum as frequently. None of us are paid to help you, it is just something we choose to do in our free time.

woah easy there. I didnt mean to offend you. I just got worried because there were so many views and no replies so i thought there was a problem with the way the problem is worded.

I think there's an infinite number of traction vectors?...but the rows of the Tensor should give you three traction vectors?

i used the unit vector [tex] \frac {1}{√3}, \frac {1}{√3}, \frac {1}{√3} [/tex] and dotted this with the stress tensor to get the traction vector they are asking for. Is that correct?

racnna said:
I think there's an infinite number of traction vectors?...but the rows of the Tensor should give you three traction vectors?

Yes. The 3 rows of the stress tensor correspond to traction vectors for surfaces normal to one of the 3 basis coordinates. Your surface normal isn't directed along any of the basis vectors (i, j, k) though, so there is no reason to expect the traction vector to be one of those rows.

i used the unit vector [tex] \frac {1}{√3}, \frac {1}{√3}, \frac {1}{√3} [/tex] and dotted this with the stress tensor to get the traction vector they are asking for. Is that correct?

Yes. :approve:

Aha! thanks so much gabba

Related to Stress Tensor Homework: Finding Traction Vector

1. What is a stress tensor and why is it important in mechanics?

A stress tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of forces acting on a material. It is important in mechanics because it allows us to analyze the behavior of a material under different types of stress, such as tension, compression, and shear.

2. How do you calculate the stress tensor?

The stress tensor can be calculated using the Cauchy stress formula, which takes into account both the normal and shear stress components acting on a material. It can also be calculated using the momentum conservation equation, which relates the stress tensor to the rate of change of momentum in a material.

3. What is the traction vector and how is it related to the stress tensor?

The traction vector is a mathematical representation of the force per unit area acting on a material. It is related to the stress tensor through the Cauchy stress formula, where the traction vector is the product of the stress tensor and the unit normal vector.

4. How do you find the traction vector from a given stress tensor?

To find the traction vector from a given stress tensor, you can use the Cauchy stress formula and multiply the stress tensor by the unit normal vector at the point of interest. This will give you the magnitude and direction of the force acting on the material at that point.

5. What are some applications of finding the traction vector?

Finding the traction vector is useful in many engineering applications, such as analyzing the stress and strain in structural components, designing materials for specific applications, and predicting failure points in a material. It is also used in fluid mechanics to analyze the flow of fluids through pipes and channels.