Stresses and change in length in a compound bar

In summary, the material under compression will have a shorter length than the material under tension.
paste

Homework Statement

Determine the stresses and the change in length of the compound bar.

compressive load F = 40kN
Length L = 0.25m
material (a) mild steel E = 205 GPa
material (a) area = 0.04m^2
material (b) concrete E = 10 GPa
material (b) area = 0.16m^2

For a similar example see example 2 of this PDF:
http://fetweb.ju.edu.jo/staff/che/ymubarak/Strength-lectures/chapter2.pdf

My calculations so far are:
(a) σ = 40/0.04 = 1000kNm^2
(b) σ = 40/0.16 = 250kNm^2

E=σ/ε → ε=σ/E

(a) ε = 1000*10^3/205*10^9
= 4.9*10^-6

(b) ε = 250*10^3/10*10^9
= 25*10^-6

Free change in length = ΔL = ε*L

(a) ΔL = 4.9*10^-6*0.25
= 1.2*10^-6m

(b) ΔL = 25*10^-680.25
= 6.25*10^-6m

After those calculations I am unsure what to do next to find the change in length in a joined compound bar.

Homework Equations

See PDF

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Thanks a lot for any help in improving my understanding of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the following help? I think you have figured out what I call k1 and k2.

Spinnor said:
Does the following help? I think you have figured out what I call k1 and k2.

I forgot the following,

Attachments

• aaaaa125.jpg
    aaaaa125.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 716
It may be related but I can't deduce anything from it.

Can anybody else offer a solution?

Young's modulus, Y = Stress/Strain = (F/A)/(ΔL/L)

So F = (Y*A*ΔL)/L = kΔL which is the relationship between the applied force on a "spring" and the distance it compresses. In your problem both the steel and concrete are compressed the same distance, they each have an effective spring constant for the problem as stated. So in your case you know k_steel and k_concrete as given above so,

ΔL = F/(k_steel + k_concrete)

Good luck!

Last edited:
Spinnor said:
Young's modulus, Y = Stress/Strain = (F/A)/(ΔL/L)

So F = (Y*A*ΔL)/L = kΔL which is the relationship between the applied force on a "spring" and the distance it compresses. In your problem both the steel and concrete are compressed the same distance, they each have an effective spring constant for the problem as stated. So in your case you know k_steel and k_concrete as given above so,

ΔL = F/(k_steel + k_concrete)

Good luck!

After another reading of your link it probably makes sense that the concrete is under compression and the steel is under tension which is a common configuration of those materials, so in that case,

F = k_steel*ΔL_steel = - k_concrete*ΔL_concrete

the concrete gets shorter and the steel gets longer.

Thanks a lot for the replies spinnor, what is it that you are referring to with k btw? is it the Young's Modulus of the materials? concrete E = 10 GPa and mild steel E = 205 GPa

Thanks a lot again

Related to Stresses and change in length in a compound bar

1. What is a compound bar?

A compound bar is a type of structure made up of two or more materials that are bonded together. This combination of materials allows the compound bar to have unique properties that cannot be achieved with a single material.

2. How does stress affect a compound bar?

Stress is the force applied to a material, and it can cause a compound bar to change its shape or length. The amount of stress applied to a compound bar is directly proportional to the amount of strain or change in length that occurs.

3. What is thermal stress in a compound bar?

Thermal stress is when a compound bar experiences a change in length due to a change in temperature. This change in temperature can cause the materials in the compound bar to expand or contract, leading to a change in the overall length of the bar.

4. How does a compound bar react to changes in temperature?

When a compound bar is exposed to changes in temperature, the materials will expand or contract at different rates, causing the bar to bend or deform. This is known as thermal expansion, and it can be calculated using the coefficient of thermal expansion for each material in the compound bar.

5. How can I calculate the change in length in a compound bar?

The change in length in a compound bar can be calculated using the formula ΔL = L * ε * ΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, L is the original length of the bar, ε is the coefficient of thermal expansion, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This formula takes into account the materials and temperature changes to determine the change in length of the compound bar.

Back