String Theory: Background Dependence & Complaints

• Thread starter Ratzinger
  • Start date
In summary, string theorists have been facing complaints about their approach not being background independent. However, they do not see this as a big concern and do not reject string theory in favor of loop quantum gravity. This is because string theory is not just a quantum theory of gravity, but it also has other applications. There have been multiple responses from string theorists to criticisms about background independence, but there may be other options to consider outside of these two approaches. Some physicists believe that it is necessary to rethink the foundations of physics and integrate evolutionary models and complex systems into the study of string theory. Ultimately, opinions vary on the best approach to understanding the universe and its fundamental laws.
Ratzinger
What actually is the reaction of string theorists to the complaints that their approach is not background independent? Why is it not such a big concern to them?

Physics news on Phys.org
It IS their concern. Unfortunately, they do not know how to solve this problem. Nevertheless, that is not a reason to reject string theory and accept loop quantum gravity. This is because string theory is MUCH MORE than a quantum theory of gravity. String theory and loop quantum gravity are NOT too different approaches to the same problem.

On "The case for background independence", Smolin
http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0507/0507235v1.pdf

I've seen at least one response from some string theorist
"The case for background independent theories and formulations with background",
http://mathphys.iu-bremen.de/~robert/background.pdf

I'm sure there are lots of string responses to Smolins paper though.

/Fredrik

Last edited by a moderator:
"string theory is MUCH MORE than a quantum theory of gravity."

For a physicist that's not neccessarily a good thing of course. We have good reason from established physics to expect a theory of QG to exist in reality, we don't have any physical reasons whatsoever to believe that anything else that ST is exists.

Demystifier said:
It IS their concern. Unfortunately, they do not know how to solve this problem. Nevertheless, that is not a reason to reject string theory and accept loop quantum gravity.

I don't think we need to narrow it down to just two options do we? Perhaps the are other options.

To me at least, there is sufficient issues all over the place for me to motivate a rethinking of the fundaments of physics and it's methods, and and that point I think the options are more than the two mentioned. Part of my motivation is that the foundational physics touches the scientific method and is thus to me at least more than just the traditional physics. Natural extensions I want integration in foundational physics is generic evolutionary models, touching also highly complex physical systems such as the human brain. We may well end up dynamically modelling the models to an even larger extent. In that perspective, string theory is not what comes to my mind. But then that's just a single opinion.

/Fredrik

FAQ: String Theory: Background Dependence & Complaints

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity by describing the fundamental building blocks of the universe as tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles.

2. What is background dependence in string theory?

Background dependence in string theory refers to the idea that the theory's equations and predictions are influenced by the specific background or environment in which the strings are interacting. This means that the theory's predictions may vary depending on the background or context in which it is applied.

3. What are the main complaints about background dependence in string theory?

One of the main complaints about background dependence in string theory is that it can make the theory less predictive as it requires specific backgrounds to be chosen in order to make calculations. Another complaint is that it goes against the principle of general relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same in all reference frames.

4. How do scientists address the issue of background dependence in string theory?

Scientists have proposed various ways to address the issue of background dependence in string theory, such as the introduction of extra dimensions or the use of dualities that relate different background configurations. Another approach is to develop a more general version of string theory that is not as dependent on background structures.

5. Is background independence possible in string theory?

This is a matter of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. Some scientists believe that it may be possible to achieve background independence in string theory, while others argue that it may be a fundamental feature of the theory. Further developments and advancements in the field are needed to fully understand the role of background dependence in string theory.