String Theory compact dimensions

In summary, the conversation discusses string theory and its compactified dimensions. The first question asks about the reason for the space not collapsing to a small size, while the second question explores the relationship between the size of the space and the size of the universe. The response provides information about the energy of winding and vibrational modes, and its connection to the measurement of distance in the universe. The speaker acknowledges their limited understanding and welcomes corrections.
sneutron
Brilliant forum, wish i'd spent time browsing it years ago.

In my layman's "understanding" of string theory six dimensions are compactified and usually presumed to be of very small size. My questions are:

1. Is there any mathematical or (better still) physical reason why this space does not collapse to a vanishingly small size? e.g. a pressure of some kind?

2. Bearing in mind other string theory dualities, is there any good reason, or even conjecture, to think that its size is in reciprocal proportion to the 3-space universe?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if it has any bearing on your second question but I just came to understand that the high energy of winding modes of strings are proportional to the low energy of vibrational modes. I believe this is some sort of analog to the holographic principle because this finding says that distance can be measured by using either approaches. When we measure the size of the universe, we use the lightest vibrational pattern of strings, which is a photon.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I'm also learning this.

Related to String Theory compact dimensions

What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the fundamental nature of particles and their interactions. It proposes that the building blocks of the universe are not point-like particles, but tiny, vibrating strings.

What are compact dimensions in String Theory?

Compact dimensions are the additional dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that are predicted by String Theory. These dimensions are thought to be curled up and imperceptibly small, making them difficult to observe.

How many compact dimensions are there in String Theory?

String Theory predicts that there are six or seven compact dimensions, depending on the specific version of the theory. These dimensions are believed to play a crucial role in determining the properties of particles and the forces between them.

What is the significance of compact dimensions in String Theory?

Compact dimensions are essential in String Theory because they allow for the unification of gravity with the other fundamental forces of nature. They also help to explain the hierarchy problem, which is the large discrepancy between the strength of gravity and the other forces.

Can we observe or detect compact dimensions?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of compact dimensions. However, some scientists believe that future experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, may be able to detect their effects. Other theories, such as the brane world scenario, propose that our observable universe is confined to a three-dimensional brane, making compact dimensions inaccessible to us.