String theory relativistic equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's attempt to gain a laymen's understanding of string theory, specifically the development of classical and relativistic equations of motion. It is explained that relativistic equations are derived from classical equations using light cone coordinates and Fourier expansion. The Fourier term in each dimension describes how the string vibrates, including in compactified dimensions. In curved spaces, the normal modes are not sine and cosine functions, but the Fourier expansion is still applicable for small oscillations. The concept of geodesics and how they relate to the motion of particles in spacetime is also mentioned. The idea of compactifications is introduced, with the example of a torus, and how it is taken into account in string theory through periodic conditions
lkwarren01
I'm an engineer trying to get a reasonable laymen's/conceptual understanding of string theory. I've finally gotten a general understanding of developing classical equations of motion, but I'm a little stuck on relativistic equations.

As I understand it, relativistic equations of motion are developed from classical equations by applying light cone coordinates then Fourier expansion. It's my understanding that there's a Fourier term for each spatial dimension of the theory, including compactified dimensions, which describes how the string vibrates in that dimension. Is that correct?

If yes, how is the geometry of the compactified dimensions--eg, C-Y, orbifold, torus, etc--taken into account? Thru the sigma variable in the Fourier term?

Thanks
Larry Warren, IL

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fourier expansion only works in flat space, strictly speaking. The compact directions can be flat tori.

In curved spaces, the normal modes will be something other than sines and cosines. However, the Fourier expansion will be good enough for very small oscillations.

Have you read Zwiebach's text? That's, I think, the best text that could meet your prerequisites :)

Non-relativistically, we say that a free particle (no forces!) traces out a straight line in space. Straight lines are the shortest paths if the space is flat, which is the case in Newtonian physics. Relativistically, we extend this idea to say that particles trace out geodesics; the shortest paths in spacetime. However, usually one develops string theory in flat spacetime, where geodesics are again straight lines.

So: to determine how particles move in spacetime, we extremize the length they trace out in spacetime.

A string doesn't trace out a line (which is 1-dimensional) in spacetime, but a sheet (which is 2-dimensional). Now the idea is that the surface of this sheet is extremized. This is done by writing down the so-called Nambu-Goto action. In chapter 6 of Zwiebach you can read the details :)

Compactifications are taken into account by imposing periodic conditions on the spacetime coordinates which describe the compactifications.

So, if you have a 26-dimensional string theory (describing only bosons), the spacetime points are described by coordinates

[tex]
x^{\mu}, \ \ \ \ \mu = 0,1,2,\ldots,25
[/tex]

If you now want to compactify this theory on a torus, you can do this as follows:

[tex]
x^{25} = x^{25} + 2\pi R_1 n, \ \ \ \ \ x^{24} = x^{24} + 2\pi R_2 m, \ \ \ \ n,m \in Z
[/tex]

where the R's describe the two radii of the torus (we call these parameters moduli). Of course, this choice is arbitrary; we are free to choose the coordinate parametrization! But in my example I chose x^24 and x^25.

Now, an open string can wrap around this torus w times. In that case, the sigma coordinate wraps around one of the cycli of the torus (say, described by R_1), and gets the same periodic identification (in this case, the same periodic identification as x^25).

For Calabi-Yau's this becomes a bit more technical, but the idea is the same. Again: Zwiebach describes this in full detail :)

Related to String theory relativistic equations

1. What is the purpose of string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to combine the principles of both quantum mechanics and general relativity to create a more comprehensive understanding of the universe. It seeks to provide a unified explanation for all fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. How does string theory relate to relativity?

String theory incorporates the principles of relativity by describing particles as one-dimensional strings rather than point-like objects. This allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of particles at high energies and in extreme conditions, such as black holes.

3. What are the equations used in string theory?

The main equations used in string theory are the relativistic equations of motion, which describe the behavior of strings in space-time, and the string field theory equations, which describe the interactions between strings.

4. Can string theory be tested experimentally?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence to support string theory. However, some predictions of string theory, such as the existence of extra dimensions, can potentially be tested through high-energy particle accelerators and cosmological observations.

5. What are the criticisms of string theory?

Some criticisms of string theory include the lack of experimental evidence, the complex mathematics involved, and the fact that it has not yet been able to make testable predictions. Additionally, some physicists argue that string theory may not be a unique theory and that there could be multiple ways to describe the universe using different mathematical frameworks.