String theory reparameterisation/ transformation law metric

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a metric on a world-sheet using conformal transformations. The metric components are shown to transform in a certain way, but the actual values of the metric do not necessarily remain the same. It is not possible to recover the Minkowski metric using conformal transformations. The value of ##\Lambda^{2}_{2}## is indeterminate, but additional constraints can be imposed to determine its value.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Attached
question.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
where ##\tau## and ##\sigma## are world-sheet parameters.

where ##h_{ab}## is the world-sheet metric.

To be honest, I am trying to do analogous to general relativity transformations, since this is new to me, so in that case an tensor with two lower indicies transforms as:

## h'_{ab}=h_{cd}\Lambda^{c}_{a}\Lambda^{d}_{b}##

So, to write it all out to make sure I understand clearly...

##h'_{11}=h_{cd}\Lambda^{c}_{1}\Lambda^{d}_{1}=h_{11}\Lambda^{1}_{1}\Lambda^{1}_{1} +h_{22}\Lambda^{2}_{1}\Lambda^{2}_{1} ##

and

##h'_{22}=h_{cd}\Lambda^{c}_{2}\Lambda^{d}_{2}=h_{11}\Lambda^{1}_{2}\Lambda^{1}_{2} + h_{22}\Lambda^{2}_{2}\Lambda^{2}_{2} ##

And, since ##h_{ab}## is the metric on the world-sheet is a funciton of ##\tau## and ##\sigma##, let ##X^{u}=(\tau,\sigma)## , then were ##\Lambda^{u}_{v}=\frac{\partial x^{u}}{\partial x'_v}##

(Apologies the convention I believe is to denote the above with ##\Lambda^{-1 u}_v ##)

So here ## X'^{u}= (\tau',\sigma')=(\tau^2/2,1)##

So then ##\Lambda^{1}_{1}=\frac{1}{\tau}##

##\Lambda^{1}_{2}=0=\Lambda^{2}_{1}##
So

##h'_{11}=h_{cd}\Lambda^{c}_{1}\Lambda^{d}_{1}=h_{11}\Lambda^{1}_{1}\Lambda^{1}_{1} =-\tau^2 / \tau^2=-1 ##

Now I am a bit confused with ##h'_{22}##, so to recover the Minkowski metric I need this to be ##1##.

I have

##h'_{22}=h_{cd}\Lambda^{c}_{2}\Lambda^{d}_{2}=h_{22}\Lambda^{2}_{2}\Lambda^{2}_{2} = \Lambda^{2}_{2}\Lambda^{2}_{2} ##

Now I have both ##X^2=X'^2=1## , so what is ##\Lambda^2_2=\frac{\partial x^{2}}{\partial x'_2}=\frac{0}{0}##, i.e how do we get ##1## for this, ##\Lambda^2_2=1##? how should this be formally done?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

It looks like you are on the right track with your calculations. Just to clarify, the transformation you are considering is a conformal transformation, which preserves angles but not distances. In this case, the metric components will transform as you have written, but the actual values of the metric components will change. So for example, for the component h'11, you are correct that it will be -1, but this does not mean that the Minkowski metric is being recovered. Rather, this is just showing that the angle between the two axes is preserved under this transformation.

For h'22, you are correct that the value of the metric component will be 1, but this does not mean that the Minkowski metric is being recovered either. In fact, it is not possible to recover the Minkowski metric using a conformal transformation. This is because the Minkowski metric is not conformally invariant. So even though the values of the metric components may match those of the Minkowski metric, the actual metric itself will not be the same.

As for your question about how to formally get a value of 1 for ##\Lambda^{2}_{2}##, since ##\Lambda^{2}_{2} = 0/0##, this is an indeterminate form and cannot be determined using just the information given. However, we can use the fact that the transformation is conformal to impose additional constraints on the transformation functions. For example, we could require that the determinant of the transformation matrix be equal to 1, which would give us an additional equation to solve for ##\Lambda^{2}_{2}##. This is just one possible approach, and there may be other ways to determine the value of ##\Lambda^{2}_{2}##, depending on the specific problem at hand.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or need any additional clarification. Good luck with your work!

Related to String theory reparameterisation/ transformation law metric

1. What is String Theory Reparameterisation/ Transformation Law Metric?

String theory reparameterisation/transformation law metric is a mathematical framework that is used to describe the fundamental building blocks of the universe, including particles and forces. It is a theoretical concept that attempts to unify the laws of physics and explain the behavior of matter at the smallest scales.

2. How does String Theory Reparameterisation/ Transformation Law Metric differ from other theories?

String theory reparameterisation/transformation law metric differs from other theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, in that it incorporates the concept of strings instead of point-like particles. These strings vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to different types of particles and forces.

3. What is the significance of String Theory Reparameterisation/ Transformation Law Metric?

The significance of String theory reparameterisation/transformation law metric lies in its potential to provide a unified framework for understanding the fundamental forces of nature. It also has the potential to reconcile the seemingly incompatible theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. How does String Theory Reparameterisation/ Transformation Law Metric explain the concept of extra dimensions?

String theory reparameterisation/transformation law metric suggests that there may be more than the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with. These additional dimensions are compactified, meaning they are curled up and not observable at our scale. However, they play a crucial role in the behavior of strings and the dynamics of the universe.

5. What are the current challenges and criticisms of String Theory Reparameterisation/ Transformation Law Metric?

One of the main challenges of string theory reparameterisation/transformation law metric is that it has yet to be experimentally verified. Additionally, there are many different versions of string theory, making it difficult to determine which, if any, accurately describes our universe. Some critics also argue that string theory lacks predictive power and is too abstract to be considered a viable scientific theory.