String Theory, the singularity and photons

In summary, the discussion revolves around the concept of strings and their behavior in space. The conversation includes a question posed to physicist Steven Weinberg, as well as assumptions and theories presented by the individual. Some debate arises about the idea of strings being bound to a certain location and their interaction with black holes. Ultimately, the conversation delves into the concept of energy conservation in a curved space.
RSMiller
Hey all, first post here. I had the opportunity recently to ask Steven Weinberg a question that the physics professors at my university didn't have an answer to. In short, Weinberg said he couldn't understand where I was going with my question. My heart broke as I obviously wasn't able to convey what I meant.

So, I have come here hoping that someone could point out an error in my question/thought experiment. I have had this question for over twelve years now despite reading just about every book by Hawking, Susskind, Kaku, Greene and Weinberg.

I recently created this video to illustrate the entirety of the question.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNimFBZv_1U

Here is my general assumption:
Strings are bound to a certain location and are not "free floating." As matter travels through space, strings vibrate and transfer the vibration to another string. Basically, the strings that formulate the particles of your body are different now then the ones that made up your body when reading the beginning of this sentence. Since we are traveling through space and are no longer at the previous location in space time, the strings have changed.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just an opinion, to my understanding, strings are vibrating strings of energy and energy can be borrowed in the form of virtual pair sepration and particles can be represented by strings, so virtual strings, should react in the same way as virtual particles per Hawking Radiation. You may want to ask, are strings derived from an energy gradient developed across virtual string pairs by the energy of a true vacuum, and an external or internal source. May be the singularities ( of the B.B, and the Black holes) are the connection.

Last edited:
RSMiller said:
...Thanks for any input you can provide.

What you draw is a 1D radial picture. Not every photon follows strictly only the radial direction. Most of the stuff has an angular momentum and bypass the black hole center. So no special damage is done to the "last" string, in my opinion.

In addition, there is no energy conservation law in a curved space. I am not good at it but I am not sure what energy exchange could be between the stuff inside the black hole.

Bob_for_short :Quote "In addition, there is no energy conservation law in a curved space. I am not good at it but I am not SURE what energy exchange could be between the stuff inside the black hole. ", Only gravitational energy.

FAQ: String Theory, the singularity and photons

What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to explain the nature of particles and the fundamental forces of the universe by modeling them as tiny, one-dimensional strings rather than point-like particles.

What is the singularity?

The singularity is a hypothetical point in space-time where the laws of physics break down and become infinite. It is often associated with the center of a black hole, where the gravitational pull becomes infinitely strong and the laws of general relativity no longer apply.

How does String Theory relate to the singularity?

String Theory proposes that at the singularity, the one-dimensional strings that make up all particles in the universe also become infinitely small. This allows for the possibility of a unified theory of all forces, including gravity, at the singularity.

What are photons in String Theory?

In String Theory, photons are particles that are created by the vibrations of strings. They are the carriers of electromagnetic force and are responsible for interactions between charged particles.

How does String Theory explain the behavior of photons?

String Theory proposes that the behavior of photons can be explained by the way the strings vibrate. The frequency and amplitude of the vibrations determine the properties of the photon, such as its energy and polarization. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of photons in the universe.