String theory topoogy can change lead to experimentally testable predictions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of topology changing in string theory. While it is considered an achievement of the theory, some questions are raised about its observational and experimental evidence, as well as its relation to physical reality. The speaker also shares their thoughts on topology as a dynamic and emergent structure, and the need for it to be informed by observations and interactions. They also question the idea of topology being put as a background structure in models.
ensabah6
Witten argues one of string theories great achievements is that it shows that topology can change.

Which is fine, but is there any observational evidence (i.e from astronomy or HEP) or any experimentally testable predictions on topology changing? Is there any physical evidence for topology changing? What if topology does not change in physical reality, but string theory says topology does change, does this mean string theory is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what Witten said and I'm not into string theory, but that said I have a couple of spontaneous comments that though has nothing to do with strings.

1) That toplogoy can change, but wether it does is another story. As long as we don't know, why ban the possibility?

2) From the point of view of the scientific meothod, how does a scientist or even a general observer _inform himself_ and induce or deduce the topology in the first place? Shouldn't the topology somehow be emergent from processing the information collected from observation? In this perspective, I would expect topology to be dynamical and emergent from interactions with the environment. How did we come to the current conclusion about topology?

I don't think putting topology as background structure should be necessary. I see the topology as well as the geometry as art of the dynamical reference. But I also think that a sensible model should be able to provide a rating of the possible topologies. I think something is wrong if a space of possibilities is generated without a prior. I don't understand how that can happen because it would suggest that the option space is redundant - it contains no information, so it should collapse back to where it came from IMO.

/Fredrik

I appreciate your curiosity and skepticism towards string theory and its claims about topology changing. First, let me clarify that string theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the four fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, in a single theory. It is not a complete and proven theory, and therefore, it is still being actively researched and debated.

Now, to address your questions, Witten's argument about string theory showing that topology can change is based on mathematical and theoretical calculations. It is not based on observational evidence or experimental data. This is because our current technology and understanding of physics are not advanced enough to directly observe or test topology changing.

However, string theory does make some predictions that can potentially be tested through experiments or observations. For example, string theory predicts the existence of extra dimensions beyond the four we experience in our daily lives. Scientists are currently trying to detect and study these extra dimensions through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and other particle accelerators.

As for your concern about the physical evidence for topology changing, it is important to remember that string theory is a highly mathematical and abstract theory. It is not meant to describe the physical reality as we experience it, but rather, to provide a theoretical framework for understanding the fundamental laws of nature. Therefore, the concept of topology changing in string theory may not have a direct physical manifestation, but it is still a valid mathematical concept within the theory.

Lastly, if topology does not change in physical reality, it does not necessarily mean that string theory is wrong. It could simply mean that we have not yet discovered the evidence or technology to observe or test topology changing. However, it is also possible that string theory may need to be modified or refined to better align with experimental data and observations. This is a common process in science, where theories are constantly being tested and refined as our understanding and technology advances.

In conclusion, while there may not be direct observational evidence or experimentally testable predictions for topology changing in string theory, it is still a valuable and promising theoretical framework for understanding the fundamental laws of nature. Continued research and experimentation are necessary to further test and refine the predictions of string theory.

FAQ: String theory topoogy can change lead to experimentally testable predictions?

1. What is string theory topology?

String theory topology is a branch of string theory that studies the properties of the topological structure of spacetime. It explores the idea that the shape of spacetime can be described using mathematical concepts such as knots and higher dimensions.

2. How can changes in string theory topology lead to experimentally testable predictions?

Changes in string theory topology can lead to experimentally testable predictions by altering the physical properties of spacetime. These changes can affect the behavior of particles and the laws of physics, resulting in observable phenomena that can be tested in experiments.

3. What are some examples of experimentally testable predictions that have emerged from string theory topology?

Some examples of experimentally testable predictions from string theory topology include the existence of hidden dimensions, the possibility of time travel, and the potential for parallel universes. These predictions have yet to be confirmed by experiments, but ongoing research and advancements in technology may make it possible in the future.

4. How do scientists plan to test the predictions that arise from string theory topology?

Scientists plan to test the predictions of string theory topology through a combination of theoretical calculations and experiments. This may involve using advanced particle accelerators and telescopes to search for evidence of extra dimensions or conducting experiments that can probe the fundamental properties of matter and energy.

5. What are some potential implications of experimentally confirming predictions from string theory topology?

If experimentally confirmed, predictions from string theory topology could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help us better understand the nature of gravity, reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics, and potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.

Back