String through hole - central forces

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two particles connected by a string and moving on a table with one particle hanging below the table. The goal is to use energy and angular momentum conservation to derive an equation for the distance of the first particle from the hole. After attempting to solve the problem using the given equations, the person eventually finds the correct solution with a factor of 2 and 8 in the denominator.
Keano16

Homework Statement

Two particles of mass m are connected by a light inextensible string of length l. One of the particles moves on a smooth horizontal table in which there is a small hole. The string passes through the hole so that the second particle hangs vertically below the hole. Use the conservation of energy and angular momentum to show that:

r(dot)^2 = (gl+v^2)/2 - (lv)^2/(8r^2) - gr

where r(t) is the distance of the first particle from the hole.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this question using the expression linking angular momentum and the conservation of energy, namely:

E = U(r) + J^2/(2mr^2) + 1/2*m*r(dot)^2

However, i cannot show the result that they want me to derive. There's a factor of 2 extra that I keep ending up with and I don't see how they have 8 in the denominator of one of the terms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just bumping this -- any help at all would be great.

Never mind -- I think I have the answer now.

Related to String through hole - central forces

1. What is the concept of "String through hole - central forces"?

The concept of "String through hole - central forces" refers to the phenomenon in physics where a string is attached to an object and pulled through a hole, creating a central force that causes the object to move in a circular path.

2. How does this concept relate to Newton's laws of motion?

This concept is closely related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the law of inertia and the law of acceleration. The string provides the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving in a circular path, while the object's natural tendency to resist changes in motion (inertia) causes it to continue moving in that path.

3. What are some real-life examples of this concept?

One common example of this concept is a ball attached to a string and swung in a circular motion. Another example is the motion of planets around a central star due to gravity. In both cases, the string or gravitational force acts as the central force keeping the objects in motion.

4. How does changing the length of the string affect the central force?

Changing the length of the string will affect the magnitude of the central force. The shorter the string, the greater the centripetal force needed to keep the object moving in a circular path. Conversely, a longer string will require less centripetal force.

5. Can this concept be applied to other types of forces?

Yes, this concept can be applied to other types of forces besides the central force. It can also be used to understand the motion of objects in rotational motion, such as a spinning top or a spinning wheel. In these cases, the string or force acts as the central force that keeps the object rotating.