Structural Break Test (CUSUM or Chow) in SAS

In summary, Structural Break Test is a statistical method used in SAS to detect changes in time series data. This is important as it helps to identify significant changes that can affect the validity of statistical analysis. CUSUM Test uses cumulative sums to detect changes in data and compares it to a threshold value. Assumptions for running a Chow Test in SAS include normal distribution, constant variance, independence, and a specific point for the structural break. The Structural Break Test can be used for any type of data in SAS as long as it meets the assumptions. The results of the test can be interpreted by looking at the p-value and graphical output. A p-value less than 0.05 indicates a structural break, and the graphical output can visually identify
AxelRoses
Hello,

First let me tell you that I'm not so experienced in SAS.

I was given a task to find a structural break in labor productivity using the following regression model:

Labor_Productivity = Unemployment Oil_Prices Real_Interest_Rates.

When I use growth rates, which I was advised to do, and run the regression, the R-square shows only 4% and t-statistics for the variables are not so good.

However, when I use logs of the variables, the R-square is around 82% and t-statistics are much better, but Durbin-Watson statistic shows a positive serial correlation.

Why is it such a difference? I think I need to use growth rates in my regression, but due to low statistics, the Chow test gives wrong output (I think) or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

Because I don't know when the break (breaks) occurred, I tried CUSUM test. Here is the code I used:

proc autoreg data=AJ.WD1 ;

model prod_change = unem_change oilprice_change realintrate_change;

*model ln_prod = ln_unem ln_oilprice realintrate;

output out=cusum cusum=cusum cusumub=ub cusumlb=lb;

run;

proc print data=cusum;

var lb cusum ub;

run;

However SAS gives CUSUM ERROR and dots for lb cusum ub. What am I doing wrong?

Is there any other way to find unknown structural breaks in panel data?

Please see the attached file with the data.

Please, any advice or suggestion, or help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. It sounds like you are on the right track with using growth rates in your regression model, as this is a common approach when analyzing panel data.

The difference in R-square and t-statistics between using growth rates and logs of the variables is likely due to the fact that taking the log of a variable can change its interpretation and relationship with other variables in the model. For example, taking the log of a variable can make it more linear in relation to other variables, which can improve the model's fit. However, it is important to consider the assumptions and potential biases that can arise when using log transformations in regression models.

As for the CUSUM test, it is possible that the error you are receiving is due to an issue with the code or data formatting. I would recommend checking the SAS documentation or reaching out to SAS support for assistance with this specific test. Alternatively, you may want to explore other statistical tests or methods for detecting structural breaks in panel data, such as the Chow test or the Bai-Perron test.

Overall, my advice would be to carefully consider the assumptions and potential biases of any statistical tests or methods you are using, and to seek out additional resources or support if needed. Best of luck with your research!

Related to Structural Break Test (CUSUM or Chow) in SAS

1. What is a Structural Break Test and why is it important in SAS?

A Structural Break Test is a statistical method used to detect changes or shifts in a time series data. It is important in SAS because it helps to identify any significant changes in the data over time, which can affect the validity of the statistical analysis and conclusions drawn from it.

2. How does the CUSUM Test work in SAS?

The CUSUM Test in SAS uses cumulative sums of the differences between the observed data and the expected data to detect changes in the data. It calculates the cumulative sum of the differences and compares it to a threshold value to determine if a structural break has occurred.

3. What are the assumptions for running a Chow Test in SAS?

The assumptions for running a Chow Test in SAS include:

• The data is normally distributed.
  • The data has a constant variance.
  • The data is independent and not autocorrelated.
  • The data has the same underlying distribution for all subgroups.
  • The structural break occurs at a specific point in time.

4. Can the Structural Break Test be used for any type of data in SAS?

Yes, the Structural Break Test can be used for any type of data in SAS as long as the data meets the assumptions for the test. However, it is most commonly used for time series data.

5. How can the results of a Structural Break Test be interpreted in SAS?

The results of a Structural Break Test in SAS are typically interpreted by looking at the p-value of the test. A p-value less than the chosen significance level (usually 0.05) indicates that a structural break has occurred and the null hypothesis of no break can be rejected. Additionally, the graphical output of the test can also be used to visually identify any significant changes in the data over time.