Structural engineering question -- maximum load taken by beam

In summary, the conversation is discussing the maximum load that can be taken by a UB 610 x 229 x 125Kg/m beam for a span of 5 meters when supported on both sides by anchoring on a concrete beam. The application is for roofing and the person inquiring has a background in Mechanical Engineering. They are seeking advice on how to calculate the maximum load and whether or not their design meets local codes and regulations.
Umeshd06
dear all ,

My question is what is the maximum load taken by beam of UB 610 x 229 x 125Kg/m for a span of 5 mtr?
its supported on both side by anchoring on concrete beam.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Umeshd06 said:
dear all ,

My question is what is the maximum load taken by beam of UB 610 x 229 x 125Kg/m for a span of 5 mtr?
its supported on both side by anchoring on concrete beam.
Welcome to the PF.

What is the application? What is your background in ME?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What is the application? What is your background in ME?
its for roofing

Umeshd06 said:
its for roofing
What is your ME background? Why are you asking this on an Internet forum?

Beams bend before they break. In order to calculate the max load you typically need to know how much you can allow the beam to bend. Local codes/regulations vary a lot so it's one thing to know the maximum load a beam can carry and another knowing if the design meets local code/regulations. I don't pretend to know enough to design roof beams - we hired a Structural Engineer to design the beams in our roof.

Likes berkeman

Related to Structural engineering question -- maximum load taken by beam

1. What is the maximum load that a beam can support?

The maximum load that a beam can support depends on several factors, such as the type of material, the size and shape of the beam, and the span of the beam. It is typically determined by performing calculations using engineering principles and considering the safety factor.

2. How is the maximum load of a beam calculated?

The maximum load of a beam is calculated by considering its dimensions, material properties, and the applied forces. The calculations involve determining the bending moment and shear forces acting on the beam and comparing them to the beam's capacity to resist these forces.

3. Can the maximum load of a beam be increased?

Yes, the maximum load of a beam can be increased by using a stronger material, increasing the size of the beam, or adding support columns or beams. However, these changes must be carefully calculated and designed to ensure the overall stability and safety of the structure.

4. What are the consequences of exceeding the maximum load of a beam?

If a beam is loaded beyond its maximum capacity, it can result in structural failure, which can lead to collapse and potential injury or damage. It is important to always adhere to the recommended maximum load for a beam to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

5. How can I determine the maximum load of a beam in my own project?

To determine the maximum load of a beam in your project, you can consult with a professional structural engineer who can perform the necessary calculations and provide recommendations based on the specific requirements and conditions of your project.

Back