Structural Formulas for all the (C5H11OH) alcohols

In summary, the alcohols with the molecular formula C5H11OH, also known as Amyl Alcohols, can be named using the IUPAC naming system. The structural formulas for these alcohols are 1-pentanol, 2-pentanol (1-methyl-1-butanol), 3-pentanol, 2-methyl-1-butanol, 2-methyl-2-butanol, 3-methyl-1-butanol, 3-methyl-2-butanol, and 2,2-dimethyl-1-propanol. These alcohols can be classified as primary, secondary, or tertiary depending on the number of carbon atoms bonded to the hydrox
ND3G
Given: Draw structural formulas for all the alcohols that have the molecular formula C5H11OH. Name each one and classify them as primary, secondary, or tertiary alcohols. Describe how they are formed and give two uses for this type of alcohol.

Solution: I am still at the naming portion but this is what I have come up with.

1-pentanol
2-pentanol (1-methyl-1-butanol)
3-pentanol
2-methyl-1-butanol
2-methyl-2-butanol
3-methyl-1-butanol
3-methyl-2-butanol
2,2-dimethyl-1-propanol

Is there any that I am missing? Is the naming ok? Different sources seem to use different methods.
For example: one source may refer to 2-methyl-1-butanol as 2-methylbutanol while another calls it 2-methyl butan-1-ol
I am not such which method is more correct (as far as Canadian usage).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
*Update*

Alcohols with the molecular formula C5H11OH are collectively known as Amyl Alcohols.

for the naming part there is the IUPAC(international union for pure and applied chemistry) which gives the namings. i believe the IUPAC uses the 2 methyl butan - 1 - ol naming.

e.g. instead of 1-pentanol, it would've been pentan-1-ol. I'm pretty sure you got all of them...

Related to Structural Formulas for all the (C5H11OH) alcohols

1. What is a structural formula?

A structural formula is a representation of the molecular structure of a compound, showing how the atoms are bonded together. It is often used in chemistry to visually depict the arrangement of atoms in a molecule.

2. What is the general formula for all (C5H11OH) alcohols?

The general formula for all (C5H11OH) alcohols is C5H12O. This means that all alcohols with five carbon atoms and one hydroxyl group (OH) will have the same molecular formula of C5H12O.

3. How many isomers are possible for (C5H11OH) alcohols?

There are a total of 8 possible isomers for (C5H11OH) alcohols. These include 5 straight-chain isomers and 3 branch-chain isomers.

4. How do you determine the structural formula for a specific (C5H11OH) alcohol?

To determine the structural formula for a specific (C5H11OH) alcohol, you must first identify the number of carbon atoms and hydroxyl groups present in the molecule. Then, you can use chemical principles and knowledge of molecular bonding to draw the structural formula.

5. Can structural formulas be used to identify different compounds?

Yes, structural formulas can be used to identify different compounds. Each compound has a unique structural formula that distinguishes it from other compounds. By comparing the structural formula of a compound to known compounds, scientists can identify and classify it.