Structural Mechanics - Statics / Truss

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a simply supported timber foot bridge, including its dimensions and load requirements. The dead load and live load per meter of beam are calculated, and the ultimate limit state load is determined from these values. The necessary beam depth to meet strength criteria is also calculated, as well as the long term deflection of the chosen beam. The acceptability of this deflection is briefly commented on. The poster also asks for resources to help with this problem.
physicx_1

Homework Statement

The simply supported timber foot bridge shown in figure 5 spans 7 metres and, as shown, is carried by two Engineering grade Douglas Fir beams. The uniformly distributed load due to the self weight of the foot bridge and beams is 96 kg/m. The bridge is required to carry a live load of 2.5 kPa on the 1.4 m wide carriageway.

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/7514/facebook1wz.png

Calculate the dead load per metre of beam based on the above configuration and express your answer in kN/m.
Calculate the live load per metre of beam based on the above configuration and express your answer in kN/m
From the loads calculated in (a) and (b) determine the ultimate limit state load
Assuming b = 100 mm and k8 = 0.75 determine the minimum depth of beam required to met the strength criteria of NZS 3603
(Beam depth to be to the nearest 50mm)
Calculate the long term deflection of the beam chosen in (d)
Briefly comment on the acceptability of the deflection calculated above

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am extremely stuck in this. I want to ask the lecturer this question but I don't even know where to start. I went to almost every lecture but it seems I just can't manage to grasp this subject effectively. Consequently I cannot provide a great amount of workings when attempting this question.

My attempt at working out this question is:

The width (7000mm) times the width (1400mm)

and then work out live load .. (the formula I believe is something like -- 1.5 times the load).

the rest i have no idea.

can someone please give me the relevant website on the internet where I can access the theory and example questions for this problem?

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you have taken or are taking a course in Strength of Materials? The dead load is given in mass per meter; convert to weight per meter and each beam sees half of that. After calculating total live load per your formula and using correct units, the live load per meter is that load divided by length, again half of which goes to each beam. Then I am not familiar with your refernced code, but basically, it's calculating max moment for a simply supported beam with appropriate safety factors, and max stress per Mc/I based on the wood allowable stress for DougFir, and deflection based on its properties and appropriate code equations.

Related to Structural Mechanics - Statics / Truss

1. What is structural mechanics?

Structural mechanics is a field of engineering that studies the behavior of structures and materials under external loads, such as forces and moments. It involves the analysis and design of structures to ensure they can withstand these loads without failing.

2. What is statics in structural mechanics?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the analysis of forces on structures and how they affect the equilibrium and stability of the structure. It is an important aspect of structural mechanics, as it helps determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure.

3. What is a truss in structural mechanics?

A truss is a type of structure that consists of interconnected members joined together at their ends to form a rigid framework. Trusses are commonly used in engineering to support bridges, roofs, and other structures, as they are strong and efficient in transferring loads.

4. How is a truss analyzed in structural mechanics?

Trusses are analyzed using the principles of statics, by considering the external forces and moments acting on the structure and determining the internal forces and stresses within the truss members. This analysis helps determine the stability and strength of the truss.

5. What factors affect the stability of a truss in structural mechanics?

The stability of a truss is affected by various factors, including the design of the truss, the materials used, the external loads acting on the truss, and the support conditions. The geometry and arrangement of the truss members also play a significant role in its stability.