Structure of the modified nucleoside 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine

• Thread starter wwwaazup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structure
In summary, the nucleoside cytidine needs to be drawn first, and then the substitutions need to be made on the ribose ring. The difference between a nucleoside and a nucleotide is important to understand, and it is important to remember what types of bonds different atoms like to form. Once the nucleoside cytidine has been drawn, it needs to be converted into a nucleotide.
wwwaazup
how would i even begin this problem:

Draw the structure of te modified nucleoside 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine

Physics news on Phys.org

First draw the regular nucleoside cytidine. Then make the substitutions on the ribose ring at the mentioned positions to get the modified cytidine.

And understand the difference between a nucleoside and a nucleotide...

so once i draw nucleoside cytidine, do i take both of the bottom OH off and then put a F on the spot i removed the 3' OH??

This type of question is REALLY hard to help with without pictures. Do you have a scanner that you can upload your attempt at a drawing as a picture or attachment so we can see what you have so far?

Something else to consider as you're trying to make substitutions, think about valence electrons. Which of the atoms around that 3' position is most similar to Fluorine? That's the one that Fluorine is going to replace.

I can see that your whole series of homework questions is trying to get you to think about the chemistry while you're learning about these different biological molecules. Your teacher/professor clearly wants you to understand the relationship between the chemistry and biology and not just learn to match patterns and repeat memorized modifications to the molecules, so my big tip here is to refresh your memory about what types of bonds different atoms like to form, and how many valence electrons they have.

You may or may not have done it already, but I'm predicting from this direction of inquiry that a next step will involve understanding things like partial charges on the whole molecules, which will tell you a lot about how they interact in the big "soup" called a cell. So, put good effort into understanding the concepts here, not just trying to plug groups haphazardly onto molecules until someone says they're in the right place. :wink:

it will be like this:

http://img399.imageshack.us/img399/5053/cytidinesd5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Structure of the modified nucleoside 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine

1. What is the chemical structure of 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine?

The chemical structure of 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine, also known as lamivudine, is C8H11FN3O3. It is a synthetic nucleoside analog that is used as an antiviral medication.

2. How does 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine differ from regular cytidine?

2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine differs from regular cytidine in two ways: it has a fluorine atom attached to the 3' carbon and it lacks a hydroxyl group on the 3' carbon. These modifications make it more resistant to degradation by enzymes, allowing it to stay active in the body for longer periods of time.

3. What is the mechanism of action of 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine?

2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine works by inhibiting the activity of the enzyme reverse transcriptase, which is necessary for the replication of certain viruses, including HIV and hepatitis B. By blocking this enzyme, the virus is unable to make copies of itself and the infection is suppressed.

4. What are the potential side effects of using 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine?

The most common side effects of 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine include headache, fatigue, nausea, and diarrhea. In rare cases, it can also cause serious side effects such as liver damage and pancreatitis. It is important to closely monitor for any adverse reactions while taking this medication.

5. How is 2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine administered?

2',3'-dideoxy-3'-fluorocytidine is available in tablet form and is typically taken once or twice a day, depending on the condition being treated. It is important to follow the dosage instructions provided by a healthcare professional and to continue taking the medication for the prescribed duration, even if symptoms improve.