Struggling to Find X(t) Using Inverse Laplace Transform

In summary, the person is having trouble finding X(t) after finding the laplace transform of a differential equation. They have attached all of their work and tried using partial fractions, but are stuck on fitting their function to the table of transforms. They mention that they know the answer should be et, but are unsure how to get rid of the (s-1) in the denominator. They ask for advice and someone suggests using a shifting theorem.
schapman22

Homework Statement

Having found the laplace transform of a differential equation. I must now find X(t). All of my work is attached. The problem I am having is fitting my function of s to my table of transforms. I tried using partial fractions but it took me in a loop.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached everything.

Attachments

• homework3.jpg
    homework3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 294
  • homework5.jpg
    homework5.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 301
Physics news on Phys.org
I know the answer is et which means somehow 1/(s-1)2 becomes 1/(s-1). But I don't understand how to get rid of the other (s-1) in the denominator.

Hey I still can't figure this one out. If anyone has any advice it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I have trouble reading your images, but if you are trying to inverse ##\frac 1 {(s-1)^2}## you can use one of the shifting theorems$$
\mathcal L^{-1}f(s-a) = e^{at}\mathcal L^{-1}f(s)$$Do you see how to use that? Your answer isn't just ##e^t##.

Related to Struggling to Find X(t) Using Inverse Laplace Transform

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that allows you to convert a function from the Laplace domain to the time domain. It is the reverse of the Laplace transform and is used to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

2. How is the inverse Laplace transform calculated?

The inverse Laplace transform is calculated using the formula: f(t) = (1/2πi)∫F(s)e^(st)ds, where F(s) is the Laplace transform of the function and i is the imaginary unit. This integral can be evaluated using various techniques such as partial fraction decomposition, residue theorem, and convolution.

3. What are the applications of inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is used to analyze dynamic systems, solve differential equations, and model real-world phenomena such as electrical circuits, chemical reactions, and heat transfer processes.

4. What are the properties of inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has several properties that make it a powerful tool in mathematical analysis. These include linearity, time-shifting, differentiation, integration, and convolution. These properties allow us to manipulate functions in the Laplace domain and obtain the corresponding function in the time domain.

5. Are there any limitations to the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to the inverse Laplace transform. One of them is that it only works for functions that have a Laplace transform. Also, the integral involved in the calculation may be difficult or impossible to evaluate in some cases. In such cases, numerical methods or approximations can be used to find the inverse Laplace transform.