Struggling with LaTeX: Seeking Help With String Length & Mass

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving the use of LaTeX code and a parameterized curve. The conversation also discusses finding the entire length and mass of the string, as well as understanding the arc length formula and integrating vectors.
mikeyrichster
Im afraid my use of LaTeX code, sucks. My apologies to anyone friendly enough to help!

The problem:

A string takes a path shown by the equation below:

r(t)=(t,3t^2,6t^3) Where the RHS is a verticle vector (didnt know how to code this!)

and 0 <= t <= 1

The mass per unit length of the wire at a point (x, y, z) is given by
p(x,y,z) = xyz^2

Im having trouble answering these last two questions..

c) Find the entire length of the string?
d) Find the mass of the string?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For c) you're being asked for the arc length. Do you know the expression that gives you arclength for a parameterized curve? It's not too bad to remember/derive: if you think of t as time, then the distance (not displacement) that the particle goes at time dt is the speed at the time, which is |r'(t)|, times dt. Therefore the total distance will be the integral from t = 0 to 1 of |r'(t)|dt.

Hi there, thanks for your help!

Is the expression you refer to the arc length formula?

you said "therefore the total distance will be the integral from t = 0 to 1 of |r'(t)|dt."
does that mean the integral from 0 to 1 of the absolutle vaule of r(t) differentiated?

How do you integrate vectors like this?

Thanks

By |r'(t)| I meant the norm (magnitude) of the vector r'(t). So if r(t) = (x(t), y(t), z(t)) then r'(t) = (x'(t), y'(t), z'(t)) so that |r'(t)| = sqrt(x'(t)^2 + y'(t)^2 + z'(t)^2).

I understand that learning a new coding language can be challenging and it is completely normal to struggle with it at first. My advice would be to practice and seek help from online resources or colleagues who are familiar with LaTeX. Additionally, there are many LaTeX forums and communities where you can ask for assistance with specific coding problems, such as the one you have mentioned.

In regards to the problem at hand, it seems like you are on the right track with the given equations. To find the length of the string, you can use the formula for arc length in three dimensions, which is given by L = ∫√(dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2). You can plug in the values for x(t), y(t), and z(t) from the given equation and integrate from 0 to 1 to find the total length of the string.

To find the mass of the string, you can use the formula for mass per unit length, which is given by m = ∫p(x,y,z)ds, where ds is the infinitesimal length element. Again, you can plug in the values for x(t), y(t), and z(t) from the given equation and integrate from 0 to 1 to find the total mass of the string.

I hope this helps and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Keep practicing and you will improve your LaTeX skills in no time!

Related to Struggling with LaTeX: Seeking Help With String Length & Mass

1. What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system that is commonly used for creating technical and scientific documents. It is based on the TeX typesetting language and is known for its high-quality output and ability to handle complex mathematical equations and symbols.

2. How can I check the length of a string in LaTeX?

To check the length of a string in LaTeX, you can use the command \StrLen{string}. This will return the number of characters in the string, including spaces and punctuation.

3. How do I change the font size in LaTeX?

To change the font size in LaTeX, you can use the command \fontsize{size}{baselineskip}. The first argument specifies the size of the font in points, and the second argument specifies the distance between lines of text. For example, \fontsize{12}{14}\selectfont will set the font size to 12pt with a line spacing of 14pt.

4. Can I use LaTeX to write equations and mathematical symbols?

Yes, LaTeX is widely used for writing equations and mathematical symbols. It has a wide range of symbols and commands specifically designed for this purpose, making it a popular choice for scientific and technical documents.

5. How can I add mass units to my document in LaTeX?

To add mass units to your document in LaTeX, you can use the siunitx package. This package provides a variety of commands for typesetting units and values with proper spacing and formatting. For example, \SI{5}{kg} will display as 5 kg in your document.