Stuck on a thermodynamics question (1st law)

In summary, hibernation is a state where animals slow their metabolism and lower their body temperature to conserve energy during the winter. To sustain hibernation, animals use the heat from the combustion of fatty acids, such as arachidonic acid. To calculate the mass of arachidonic acid needed to warm a 500.0 kg bear from 5 to 25°C, we can use the equation Q=mc∆T and the heats of formation of arachidonic acid, CO2, and H2O. By using Hess' law, we can find the ∆H for the combustion of arachidonic acid, which is -43.3 kJ/mol. Knowing that one mole of ar
patton_223

Homework Statement

1.Hibernation is a state of regulated hypothermia, lasting several days or weeks, that allows animals to conserve energy during the winter, During hibernation animals slow their metabolism to a very low level, with body temperature and breathing rates lowered, gradually using up the body fat reserves stored during warmer months. The heat required to sustain animals that hibernate comes from the combustion of fatty acids, one ofwhich is arachidonic acid, a 20 –carbon omega-6 fatty acid: C20H32O2 (s)
Calculate the mass of arachidonic acid needed to warm a 500.0 kg bear from 5 to 250C
Assume that the average heat capacity of bear flesh is 4.18 J/g-deg
∆H0f (C20H32O2 (s) ) = -636 kJ/mol ; ∆H0f (CO2 (g) )= -393.5 kJ/mol ; ∆H0f(H2O (l) ) = -285.8 kJ/mol

Homework Equations

Q=mc∆T

Heats of formation

The Attempt at a Solution

well the i found the amount of heat lost by the arachidonic acid needed to warm the bear which was -41800 KJ

and i found the ∆H for the combustion of arachidonic acid using hess' law, which i got -43.3 KJ/mol

but thing is i have to idea what to do with these two pieces of information, help anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If one mole of arachidonic acid produces 43.5 kJ energy, how many moles are required to produce 41800 kJ? Once you have this number, multiply it by the molecular weight of arachidonic acid to get the mass needed.

I have not checked your calculations. I am assuming they are correct.

Related to Stuck on a thermodynamics question (1st law)

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

How do I solve a thermodynamics question using the first law?

To solve a thermodynamics question using the first law, you will need to identify the system and its surroundings, determine the initial and final states of the system, and then apply the first law equation: ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat transferred, and W is the work done.

What is the difference between heat and work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, heat is the transfer of energy due to a temperature difference, while work is the transfer of energy due to a force acting through a distance. Heat is a form of energy in transit, while work is a direct transfer of energy.

What is an example of the first law of thermodynamics in action?

An example of the first law of thermodynamics in action is a car engine. The chemical energy in gasoline is converted into thermal energy through combustion, which is then transferred to the surroundings as heat and used to do work on the car's wheels.

How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to the conservation of energy principle?

The first law of thermodynamics is a specific application of the conservation of energy principle, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. The first law specifically applies to thermodynamic systems and their energy interactions.