Stuck on one of the substitution method steps

In summary, the given conversation discusses the process of transforming an equation into separable form by using a substitution method. The resulting equation is then divided to complete separation, which involves dividing by the factors that do not match their differentials. The final equation is in the form of each differential multiplied by a function of each variable, divided by each non-matching function. The steps for this process are explained in the separation of variables equation.
Jeff12341234
I put it in std form, did the homogeneous test. it passed with degree 2. I substituted y=ux and dy=udx+xdu and now I'm stuck. it needs to be simplified somehow but I don't know if ux is one var or if it's u*x. Same goes for udx and xdu. Is it really u*dx+x*du? even assuming that is correct, it doesn't get any simpler. What does the next step look like for this problem?

52ck6vx.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
That is good so far, the substitution has transformed the equation into separable form, divide to complete separation.

$$\frac{\mathrm{f}(u)\mathrm{g}(x) \mathrm{dx}+\mathrm{p}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)\mathrm{du}}{\mathrm{f}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)}=\frac{\mathrm{g}(x)}{\mathrm{q}(x)}\mathrm{dx}+\frac{\mathrm{p}(u) }{\mathrm{f}(u)}\mathrm{du}$$$$\frac{((ux)^2-2x^2)\mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \mathrm{du}+u\mathrm{dx})}{x^3(3u^2-2)}=\frac{\mathrm{dx}}{x}+\frac{2u\mathrm{du}}{3u^2-2}=0$$

Where did you get the denominator x3(3u2-2) from?

What does f(u), g(x), p(u), and q(x) each equal?

In this example
[tex]\mathrm{f}(u)=3u^2-2 \\
\mathrm{g}(x)=x^2 \\
\mathrm{p}(u)=2u \\
\mathrm{q}(x)=x^3 [/tex]

This is just separation of variables
$$((ux)^2-2x^2)\mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \mathrm{du}+u\mathrm{dx})=(3u^2-2)(x^2)\mathrm{dx}+(2u)(x^3)\mathrm{du}$$
So we divide by the the factors that do not match their differentials.

$$\frac{\mathrm{f}(u)\mathrm{g}(x) \mathrm{dx}+\mathrm{p}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)\mathrm{du}}{\mathrm{f}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)}=\frac{\mathrm{g}(x)}{\mathrm{q}(x)}\mathrm{dx}+\frac{\mathrm{p}(u) }{\mathrm{f}(u)}\mathrm{du}$$

Is the above eq some sort of shortcut that is explained somewhere. I've never seen it in all of the lessons I've read.

I understand how I got to here:
$$((ux)^2-2x^2)\mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \mathrm{du}+u\mathrm{dx})$$

and how you got from here:
$$(3u^2-2)(x^2)\mathrm{dx}+(2u)(x^3)\mathrm{du}$$ to the next part but not the step(s) in between. I tried working it out several times but could never separate the variables completely.

Last edited:
$$\frac{\mathrm{f}(u)\mathrm{g}(x) \mathrm{dx}+\mathrm{p}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)\mathrm{du}}{\mathrm{f}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)}=\frac{\mathrm{g}(x)}{\mathrm{q}(x)}\mathrm{dx}+\frac{\mathrm{p}(u) }{\mathrm{f}(u)}\mathrm{du}$$
That is just the separation of variables equation.
Write the equation in the form of each differential multiplied by a function of each variable, divide by each non-matching function to give each differential multiplied by a matching function.

[tex]((ux)^2-2x^2) \, \mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \, \mathrm{du}+u \, \mathrm{dx})=
x^2(u^2 -2) \, \mathrm{dx}+2x^2 u(x \, \mathrm{du}+u \, \mathrm{dx})\\
=x^2(u^2 -2) \, \mathrm{dx}+(2x^2 u)x \, \mathrm{du}+(2x^2 u)u \,\mathrm{dx}\\
=x^2(u^2 -2+2u^2) \, \mathrm{dx}+2x^3 u \, \mathrm{du} \\
=(3u^2-2)(x^2) \, \mathrm{dx}+(2u)(x^3) \, \mathrm{du}[/tex]

thanks. I got it now.

Related to Stuck on one of the substitution method steps

1. What is the substitution method?

The substitution method is a technique used in mathematics to solve systems of equations. It involves replacing one variable with an equivalent expression in terms of another variable.

2. How does the substitution method work?

The substitution method works by solving one of the equations for a variable and then plugging that expression into the other equation. This creates a new equation with only one variable, which can then be solved to find the value of that variable. This value can then be substituted back into the original equations to find the values of the other variables.

3. What are the steps involved in using the substitution method?

The steps for using the substitution method are as follows:
1. Solve one of the equations for either x or y.
2. Substitute the expression for that variable into the other equation.
3. Solve the resulting equation for the remaining variable.
4. Substitute this value back into the original equations to find the values of the other variables.

4. When should the substitution method be used?

The substitution method is most useful when one of the equations has a variable with a coefficient of 1 or -1, making it easy to solve for that variable. It is also helpful when the equations are not easily solved by other methods such as elimination or graphing.

5. What are common mistakes to avoid when using the substitution method?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using the substitution method include:
- Forgetting to substitute the expression back into the original equations to find the values of the other variables.
- Attempting to solve for a variable that does not have a coefficient of 1 or -1.
- Making errors when simplifying the equations or solving for the variables.
- Confusing the substitution method with other methods for solving systems of equations.