Stuck on Projectile Motion question

In summary, the question asks for the horizontal distance to a target on a 470m cliff when a 15kg projectile is fired from a cannon at the edge of a 350m cliff with a muzzle velocity of 250m/s at a 30 degree angle. The equations used are xf-xi (d) = vox (t) + 1/2a(t)^2 and yf - yi = voy(t) + 1/2a(t)^2, with the only mistake being the assumption that the initial vertical velocity is 0 instead of a component of 250m/s.
coldjeanz

Homework Statement

There's a cannon sitting at the edge at the top of a 350 m cliff that fires a 15kg projectile at a muzzle velocity of 250 m/s. On the opposite side there's another cliff that is 470 m in height from the bottom of the canyon as well and has a target on it.

So the question is if you fire the projectile out at an angle of 30 degrees from the horizontal and it hits the target on the other side, what is the horizontal distance to that target?

Homework Equations

xf-xi (d) = vox (t) + 1/2a(t)^2

yf - yi = voy(t) + 1/2a(t)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have tried to do:

For the first one I ended up with d = vox(t) because the other junk will go to 0 since there is no acceleration in the x direction.

For the second formula I attempted to solve for t so that I could plug that back in for t in the first formula to get the distance.

So I did

470m - 350m = 0 + 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(t)^2

I solved for t here and plugged it back into the t in the first formula but it's not giving me the correct answer. The correct answer is 5300m but I'm getting something around 1000. Can someone guide me here and point out what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
coldjeanz said:
... 470m - 350m = 0 + 1/2(-9.8m/s^2)(t)^2 ...

The only mistake is that the INITIAL velocity in the vertical direction is not 0 but a component of 250m/s.

FAQ: Stuck on Projectile Motion question

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion, and is affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

2. How do you calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation V0 = V cosθ, where V is the initial velocity of the object and θ is the angle of launch measured from the horizontal.

3. What is the formula for calculating the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the equation hmax = (V0 sinθ)^2 / 2g, where V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile, especially at higher speeds. It causes the object to slow down, reducing its horizontal and vertical velocity, and can also cause the object to deviate from its original path due to changes in wind direction and speed.

5. What is the difference between range and horizontal distance in projectile motion?

Range refers to the total distance covered by a projectile from its initial position to its final position, while horizontal distance only measures the distance traveled in the horizontal direction. In other words, range takes into account both horizontal and vertical displacement, while horizontal distance only considers horizontal displacement.