Stuck on (proving) a linear charge problem

In summary: Assuming you have the first two parts, you might want to take a look at the Taylor expansion of those answers.Ah, okay. The format change to (1+x)^(n) is making more sense now... I'm very rusty on infinite series so I'll have to take some time to review. From a brief look at my calc book it looks like it matches the binomial series. Will spend more time to see if it is right.Thanks!
FlyingButtress

Homework Statement

Question:[/B]
FmUcWz3.png

____________________________________________________________________________________

And the answer in the solution manual:
cbl0WP6.png

Homework Equations

Trig sub? [tex]a^2/x^2 = tan(θ) [/tex]
I'm thinking x>>a would affect this majorly and I'm not seeing how.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept behind this (I think), but part c is killing me right now. I have no idea how the inverse square root turns into the final equation. Maybe I should have posted this in Calculus, but I have no recollection of learning this in calc I/II, nor physics I/II so I didn't know where to post.

The [tex]a^2/x^2[/tex] looks eerily similar to a trig sub problem, but I don't see how that would work because there's no integral.

For [tex]E_x,[/tex] I was able to set the limit of a to 0 to get the point charge equation. The solution manual didn't do it this way but it worked for me to get the point charge equation.

BTW I already have a) and b), which were pretty straightforward.
Could someone point me in the right direction please? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
FlyingButtress said:

Homework Equations

Trig sub? [tex]a^2/x^2 = tan(θ) [/tex]
You should double-check that with the definition of the tangent.

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I understand the concept behind this (I think), but part c is killing me right now. I have no idea how the inverse square root turns into the final equation. Maybe I should have posted this in Calculus, but I have no recollection of learning this in calc I/II, nor physics I/II so I didn't know where to post.

The [tex]a^2/x^2[/tex] looks eerily similar to a trig sub problem, but I don't see how that would work because there's no integral.

For [tex]E_x,[/tex] I was able to set the limit of a to 0 to get the point charge equation. The solution manual didn't do it this way but it worked for me to get the point charge equation.

BTW I already have a) and b), which were pretty straightforward.
Could someone point me in the right direction please? Thank you!
Assuming you have the first two parts, you might want to take a look at the Taylor expansion of those answers.

How do you come to the conclusion that your equation is relevant for the problem? You should rather think about the question, how to calculate the force between two point charges and then how you can generalize this to many point charges and finally to a continuous charge distribution!

tms said:
You should double-check that with the definition of the tangent.Assuming you have the first two parts, you might want to take a look at the Taylor expansion of those answers.

Ah, okay. The format change to (1+x)^(n) is making more sense now... I'm very rusty on infinite series so I'll have to take some time to review. From a brief look at my calc book it looks like it matches the binomial series. Will spend more time to see if it is right. Thanks!

vanhees71 said:
How do you come to the conclusion that your equation is relevant for the problem? You should rather think about the question, how to calculate the force between two point charges and then how you can generalize this to many point charges and finally to a continuous charge distribution!

They just looked similar, like [tex]y^2/x^2[/tex]
No other reason.
I actually did use that for part a, solving for [tex]E_x[/tex], but I've already solved parts a and b :) Sorry if I wasn't clear.

It seems like you are struggling with the mathematical manipulation of the equation in part c. This can be a common issue when dealing with complex equations in physics. My suggestion would be to break down the equation and try to identify any patterns or relationships that may help you simplify it. Also, it may be helpful to review any relevant mathematical concepts that you may have learned in previous courses. Additionally, don't hesitate to reach out to your professor or classmates for assistance. Sometimes discussing the problem with others can help you see it in a different way. Keep persevering and don't get discouraged, as finding solutions to challenging problems is a crucial part of being a scientist. Good luck!

Related to Stuck on (proving) a linear charge problem

What is a linear charge problem?

A linear charge problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the electric field at a point due to a charged object or system of charged objects that are arranged in a straight line.

How do I approach solving a linear charge problem?

The first step in solving a linear charge problem is to draw a diagram of the problem and label all known values and variables. Then, use Coulomb's law and the principle of superposition to calculate the electric field at the desired point.

What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that the electric field at a point due to multiple charged objects is equal to the vector sum of the individual electric fields at that point. This principle allows us to break down complex linear charge problems into simpler components that can be solved separately.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear charge problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a linear charge problem include forgetting to take into account the direction of the electric field, using the wrong units, and failing to consider the signs of the charges. It is also important to double check all calculations and make sure they are consistent with the laws of physics.