Stuck on Shankar Problem 14.4.3?

• Thread starter Quiablo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shankar
In summary, the speaker is seeking help with a problem involving equations and operators. They have attempted to solve the problem by inverting an equation and applying the derivative using the product rule. However, they believe there may be an error in their calculations as the Hamiltonian they have obtained does not match the expected result. They are seeking clarification on what operation may have been done incorrectly.
Quiablo
Hi everyone,

I am really stuck here, and I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. The statement of the problem is attached as a image. Some equations referred by the problem are also attached in another image. I will try to explain how I have reasoned using more words than formulas, since its so darn difficult to write expressions using this editors. Here we go:

First I inverted eq. 14.4.35, multiplying both sides by the same exponential shown without the minus sign. This way we get an expression for psi(t) in terms of psir(t). Substituting that in 14.3.34, and considering that H = - gama * S * B, i got:

(i * hbar (d/dt) + gama*S*B) * exp(iwt * Sz / hbar) * psi(t) = 0

Then i applyied the derivative using the product rule (which I am not 100% sure if can be done with operators like exp (iwt * Sz / hbar) ) and got:

i * hbar ( iw * Sz / hbar) * exp(iwt * Sz / hbar) * psi(t) + i * hbar * exp(iwt * Sz / hbar) (d/dt) psi(t) = - gama*S*B * exp(iwt * Sz / hbar) * psi(t)

Multiplying everything by exp(-iwt * Sz / hbar) to the left side, and considering that: exp(-iwt * Sz / hbar) is the operator that rotates the spinor around the z axis; exp(-iwt * Sz / hbar) * Sz * exp(iwt * Sz / hbar) = Sz (rotates counterclockwise and clockwise around the same axis); B * exp(iwt * Sz / hbar) = Br, which is the (static) B field in the rotating frame; exp(-iwt * Sz / hbar) * S equals an operator I called Sr, which is the version of S in the rotating frame (static relative to that rotating frame), i got to the expression:

- w * Sz * psi(t) + i * hbar (d/dt) psi(t) = - gama*Sr*Br * psi(t)

Which is the same as:

i * hbar (d/dt) psi(t) = (w * Sz * - gama*Sr*Br) * psi(t)

Now if we compare this to the form of 14.4.34, we see that the Hamiltonian is indeed indepent of time, as expected, but I am almost 100% positive that this is the wrong Hamiltonian, for if we carry on the computations we don't get to the result shown in 14.4.36. I am pretty positive that the term w * Sz SHOULD NOT be in this expression, for it it weren't there, the right answer would be obtained. Can anyone tell me what operation was done incorrectly by me in the steps above?

Attachments

• problem_14_4_3.JPG
    problem_14_4_3.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 482
  • equations.JPG
    equations.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Doesnt anyone here have any idea of what I am talking about, or my presentation is so badly written hat none has understood what I meant?

Related to Stuck on Shankar Problem 14.4.3?

1. What is the Shankar Problem 14.4.3?

The Shankar Problem 14.4.3 refers to a specific problem in physics, described in Chapter 14, Section 4.3 of the textbook "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by R. Shankar.

2. What is the difficulty of solving Shankar Problem 14.4.3?

Solving Shankar Problem 14.4.3 requires a strong understanding of quantum mechanics and mathematical skills. It may be challenging for those without a background in these areas.

3. Can the Shankar Problem 14.4.3 be solved using a specific method?

There are multiple approaches that can be used to solve Shankar Problem 14.4.3, including perturbation theory, variational methods, and matrix methods. The most appropriate method may depend on the specific problem and the individual's strengths.

4. Are there any resources available to help solve Shankar Problem 14.4.3?

Yes, there are various resources available online, such as forums and study groups, where individuals can discuss and collaborate on solving Shankar Problem 14.4.3. Additionally, textbooks and lecture notes on quantum mechanics may provide helpful insights and examples.

5. Is solving Shankar Problem 14.4.3 important for understanding quantum mechanics?

Solving Shankar Problem 14.4.3 is just one small aspect of quantum mechanics and is not necessary for a general understanding of the subject. However, it can be a useful exercise for developing problem-solving skills and gaining a deeper understanding of specific concepts within quantum mechanics.