Stuck on simple constant accel. problem

In summary, an antelope travels with constant acceleration and reaches a speed of 15 m/s as it passes a point 70.0 meters away after 7.00 seconds. To find the speed at the first point, we can use the equation Vx=Vox+AxT. To calculate the acceleration, we can use the equation X-Xo=((Vox+Vx)/2)T. In the given problem, T and (X-Xo) are known, so we can use one of the equations to determine V0x directly. The confusion about finding the original velocity was resolved by realizing that one of the equations can be used to find V0x without taking the limit as time approaches zero.
resjsu
1. An antelope moving with constant acceleration covers the distance between two points 70.0 meters apart in 7.00 seconds. It's speed as it passes the second point is 15 m/s.
A] Find speed at first point. B] What is the acceleration?

From text University Physics 11th edition question 2.21 page 70
Eqns of motion with constant acceleration
Vx=Vox+AxT
X=Xo+VoxT+1/2AxT
Vx2=Vox2+2Ax(X-Xo)
X-Xo=((Vox+Vx)/2)T

3. I have tried but nothing worth posting. I'm stuck on the fact that I cannot find how to use the average Velocity to find the instantaneous Velocity at point 1, Thank you!.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know T, Vx, and (X - X0). One of the four equations will allow to to determine V0x directly.

Crap! For some reason I was stuck on having to find the original velocity by finding the limit as time went down to zero... So I was plugging in 0.01, 0.001 and was getting ridiculous answers. Thank you! I've posted one more problem I cannot seem to get my head around.

Related to Stuck on simple constant accel. problem

1. What is a constant acceleration problem?

A constant acceleration problem is a type of physics problem in which an object is moving with a constant acceleration. This means that the object's velocity is changing at a constant rate over time.

2. How do you solve a constant acceleration problem?

To solve a constant acceleration problem, you can use the equations of motion, which relate the object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time. You will need to identify the known and unknown variables and plug them into the appropriate equation.

3. What are the units of acceleration?

The units of acceleration are typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system. In the imperial system, it is measured in feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

4. Can an object have a constant acceleration in real life?

Yes, in real life, there are situations where an object can have a constant acceleration. For example, a car moving at a constant speed on a straight road has a constant acceleration of zero, while a ball falling due to gravity has a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2.

5. What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Constant acceleration refers to the change in an object's velocity at a constant rate, while uniform motion refers to an object moving at a constant speed in a straight line without any acceleration. In other words, an object with constant acceleration is not moving at a constant speed, while an object in uniform motion is not experiencing any acceleration.