Stuck on the last step of a problem. Help please.

• Thread starter LoveForGauss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stuck
E+U0sec^2(θ)-U0). This will allow us to use the substitution sec(θ) = √(U0/E)sinh(αx), which will simplify the integral further.T(E) = 2√(2m) ∫0θ0 dθ/ √(E+U0sec^2(θ)-U0) = 2√(2m) ∫0θ0 dθ/ √(E+U0(√(U0/E)sinh(αx))^2-U0)
LoveForGauss

Homework Statement

This is a problem from L.D. Landau and E.M. Lifgarbagez "Mechanics (3 ed): Course of Theoretical Physics, Volume 1" [itex]\S 11.[/itex] Motion in one dimension:
Problem 2b. Determine the period of oscillation, as a function of energy, when a particle of mass [itex]m[/itex] moves in the firld for which the potential energy is
[itex]U=-U_0/\cosh^2\alpha x,\quad -U_0<E<0[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]T(E)=\sqrt{2m}\int_{x_1(E)}^{x_2(E)}\frac{dx}{ \sqrt{E-U(x)} }[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I rewrite the integral, due to symmetry, as
[itex]T(E)=2\sqrt{2m}\int_{0}^{x_0}\frac{dx}{ \sqrt{E-U(x)} }[/itex]
and find the [itex]x_0[/itex] that satisfies [itex]E=U(x)[/itex]:
[itex]x_0=\frac{1}{\alpha}\cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{-U_0/E})[/itex]

*For sake of brevity I won't show some intermediate steps, unless it is requested of me.*

Simplifying: *Note:[itex]\sech\psi=\sqrt{-U_0/E}\sech\alpha x[/itex]
[itex]\frac{dx}{\sqrt{E+U_0\sech^2\alpha x}}=\frac{1}{\alpha\sqrt{-U_0}}\frac{d\psi}{\sqrt{1+\sech^2\psi}}=\frac{d\psi}{\alpha\sqrt{-U_0}\tanh\psi}[/itex]

Integration leads to:
[itex] T=\frac{2}{\alpha}\sqrt{-2m/U_0}[\ln|\sinh\psi|]_0^{\psi_0}=2\sqrt{2m/E}[\ln|\sqrt{-U_0/E}\sinh\alpha x|]_0^{x_0} [/itex]

Which gives me something messy:
[itex] \frac{2}{\alpha}\sqrt{-2m/U_0}\ln[\sinh(\frac{1}{\alpha}\cosh^{-1}(\sqrt{-U_0/E}))] [/itex]

Which I have no idea how to simplify. I know the answer is supposed to be [itex] \frac{\pi}{\alpha}\sqrt{2m/E} [/itex] which my answer somewhat resembles, but I don't know how to simplify that Natural log. I tried writing sinh in terms of exponents, and I tried using Mechanical Similarity (Landau made a vauge comment alluding to MS: right before stating the answer to part (b), to which he shows no work) he states:
"The dependence of [itex] T [/itex] on [itex] E [/itex] is in accordance with the law of mechanical similarity (10.2), (10.3)." I tried using the result from part (a), which i easliy enough found using beta functions:
[itex] U=A|x|^n\rightarrow T=\frac{2}{n}\sqrt{2\pi m/E}\cdot(E/A)^{1/n}\frac{\Gamma(1/n)}{\Gamma(1/n+1/2)} [/itex]. But i don't really understand MS so i couldn't use it.

BIO: I am a high school student who is self taught, and i have nobody to ask for guidence on problems, any help is appreciated...

PS: is there any way to just type in LaTeX language, rather than use the HTML like headers?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem. It seems like you have made a good attempt at solving it so far. Let's take a look at your solution and see if we can simplify it.

First, let's rewrite the integral as you did, but using the variable u instead of x. This will make it easier to see the simplifications later on.

T(E) = 2√(2m) ∫0x0 du/ √(E-U(u))

Next, we can use the substitution u = (1/α)arccosh(√(-U0/E)) to simplify the integral. This will also change the limits of integration to 0 and u0.

T(E) = 2√(2m) ∫0u0 du/ √(E-U(u)) = 2√(2m) ∫0u0 du/ √(E+U0sech^2(αu))

Now, using the identity sech^2(x) = 1/cosh^2(x), we can rewrite the denominator as √(E+U0/cosh^2(αu)). This will allow us to use the trigonometric substitution cosh(αu) = sec(θ), which will simplify the integral further.

T(E) = 2√(2m) ∫0u0 du/ √(E+U0/cosh^2(αu)) = 2√(2m) ∫0θ0 dθ/ √(E+U0sec^2(θ))

Now, using the identity sec^2(x) = 1+tan^2(x), we can rewrite the denominator as √(E+U0(1+tan^2(θ))). This will simplify the integral even further.

T(E) = 2√(2m) ∫0θ0 dθ/ √(E+U0(1+tan^2(θ))) = 2√(2m) ∫0θ0 dθ/ √(E+U0(1+tan^2(θ))) = 2√(2m) ∫0θ0 dθ/ √(E+U0(1+tan^2(θ)))

Using the

FAQ: Stuck on the last step of a problem. Help please.

1. What should I do if I am stuck on the last step of a problem?

If you are stuck on the last step of a problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps and tackling each one separately. You can also try discussing the problem with a colleague or mentor for a fresh perspective.

2. How can I overcome frustration when I am stuck on the last step of a problem?

It's normal to feel frustrated when stuck on a problem, but try taking a break and coming back to it with a clear mind. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or taking a different approach.

3. Is it okay to ask for help when I am stuck on the last step of a problem?

Absolutely! Asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness. Consult with a colleague, mentor, or even online forums to get a fresh perspective and potentially new ideas to solve the problem.

4. How can I prevent getting stuck on the last step of a problem in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck on the last step of a problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps from the beginning. This can help you identify any potential roadblocks earlier on and make the problem-solving process smoother.

5. What can I learn from being stuck on the last step of a problem?

Being stuck on the last step of a problem can teach you valuable lessons such as problem-solving skills, perseverance, and the importance of asking for help. It also allows you to reflect on your thought process and see where improvements can be made in the future.

Back