Stuck on this dimensional analysis question.

In summary, the total power radiated by an oscillating electric dipole is a function of the oscillation frequency, dipole moment, speed of light, and permittivity of free space. Applying dimensional analysis, the form of this function is P = (p^2)/(ω^4c^3ε), where p is the dipole moment and ω is the frequency. The ratio of the power emitted by the same dipole at frequencies ω and 2ω is 16.
LiamG_G

Homework Statement

The total power radiated by an oscillating electric dipole is a function of the oscillation frequency ω, the dipole moment p(=Qd, where ±Q is the charge at each end of the dipole and d is the distance between charges), the speed of light c and the permittivity of free space ε0. Apply dimensional analysis to find the form of this function. Hence find the ratio of the power emitted by the same dipole at frequencies ω and 2ω

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by writing out the units and trying to find the powers, this left me with:
J/s ∝ (Hz)A (Qm)B (m/s)C (F/m)D
My first thought was that C=1, so that there is s-1 on each side.
Then I thought that D=2 so that the metres cancel out.
Then I'm left with J ∝ (Hz)A Q F2 /s
And now I'm completely stuck :(
Any help appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hz = s-1.
You cannot start with seconds like that. Actually, it is pointless to start with seconds, as you can always adjust A. Start with something different. It is also useful to express F in different units.

I always seem to forget the simple things :(
Thanks for the help

So by converting everything to SI units I got A=-4, B=2, C=-3, D=-1
I got this from:
kgm2s-3 = (s-1)A (Asm)B (ms-1)C (s4A2m-3kg-1)D
D is the only one dealing with kg, so that must equal -1.
Then B must equal 2 so that A is canceled out.
Then C=-3 to bring m down to m2.
A must equal -4 to achieve s-3.

This leaves me with P = (p2)/(ω4c3ε)

I'm not sure how to tackle the second bit about the ration of ω and 2ω, I don't really understand what it's asking me to do. Can you please help?

Check the sign of the exponent A. Apart from that, it looks good (WolframAlpha can check this, for example).

Concerning (b), imagine you have a function f(x)=x2. If you double x (if you replace x by 2x), what happens to the function value?

Ah thank you very much.
I probably wouldn't have noticed that I got the sign wrong :(

If f(x)=x2 then f(2x)=4x2
So the ratio of the power at frequencies ω and 2ω would be 4

ah but as A=4, f(x)=x4, so f(2x)=16x4. Would that be correct? The ratio is 16?

LiamG_G said:
ah but as A=4, f(x)=x4, so f(2x)=16x4. Would that be correct? The ratio is 16?
Right.

Related to Stuck on this dimensional analysis question.

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert between different units of measurement or to check the consistency of equations. It involves multiplying or dividing quantities by conversion factors, which are ratios of equivalent units.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis helps scientists to ensure accuracy and consistency in their calculations. It also allows for easy conversion between different units of measurement, which is crucial in many scientific fields.

3. How do I approach a dimensional analysis problem?

The first step in solving a dimensional analysis problem is to identify the units given in the question and the units needed in the answer. Then, use conversion factors to cancel out unwanted units and arrive at the desired unit. It is important to keep track of the units throughout the problem to ensure a correct solution.

4. What are some common conversion factors used in dimensional analysis?

Some common conversion factors include 1 meter = 100 centimeters, 1 liter = 1000 milliliters, and 1 kilogram = 1000 grams. However, the specific conversion factors used may vary depending on the units involved in the problem.

5. Can dimensional analysis be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be applied in all scientific fields as long as there are units of measurement involved. It is particularly useful in chemistry, physics, and engineering, but can also be used in biology, geology, and other disciplines.