Stuck on vector integral, Calc III log_2

In summary, a vector integral is an integral that involves vector functions and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to calculate quantities in three-dimensional space. It can be challenging due to the use of multiple variables and understanding the geometric properties of vectors. Log base 2 is often used in vector integrals due to its relation to information theory. Some common applications include calculating work and energy, finding the center of mass, and analyzing complex data sets. To better understand vector integrals, a strong understanding of underlying concepts and practice problems can be helpful. Seeking help from a tutor or professor may also aid in understanding.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone I'm stuck on this problem its an integral but i don't know how to integrate the log_2 part, i converted it to natural log:
Here is what I have:
http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/1158/integral9lo.jpg
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As you say

[tex]\log _2 t = \frac{{\ln t}}{{\ln 2}}[/tex]

So

[tex]\int {\log _2 tdt = } \int {\frac{{\ln t}}{{\ln 2}}} dt = \frac{1}{{\ln 2}}\int {\ln tdt} [/tex]

So now it's just integrating ln(t)dt. If you don't remember how, think integration by parts with f = lnt and dg = dt.

Hello, it looks like you are trying to integrate a vector integral involving a logarithmic function. In order to integrate the log_2 part, you can use the change of base formula to convert it to natural log. This will allow you to use the rules of integration for natural log. However, please keep in mind that when working with vector integrals, you may need to use vector calculus techniques such as line integrals or path integrals. I suggest consulting your textbook or seeking help from your professor or a tutor for further guidance on how to approach this problem. Good luck!

Related to Stuck on vector integral, Calc III log_2

What is a vector integral?

A vector integral is an integral that involves vector functions, rather than just scalar functions. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate quantities such as work, force, and displacement in three-dimensional space.

Why am I stuck on vector integral in Calc III?

Vector integration can be challenging because it involves working with multiple variables and understanding the geometric properties of vectors. It is also a new concept in Calc III and requires a solid understanding of previous concepts such as multivariable calculus and vector calculus.

What is the significance of using log base 2 in vector integrals?

Log base 2 is commonly used in vector integrals because it is related to the concept of entropy in information theory. It represents the number of binary choices needed to encode a certain amount of information. In vector integrals, it can be used to represent the complexity or amount of information contained in a vector function.

What are some common applications of vector integrals?

Vector integrals have many practical applications, including calculating work and energy in physics, finding the center of mass of a system, and determining the flow of fluid in engineering. They are also used in computer graphics to render 3D images and in data analysis to analyze complex data sets.

What can I do to better understand vector integrals in Calc III?

To better understand vector integrals, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying concepts such as vectors, vector functions, and multivariable calculus. Practice problems and working through examples can also help improve understanding. If you are still struggling, consider seeking help from a tutor or asking your professor for clarification.