Study Physics: Strategies & Tips for College Students

In summary,Zz recommends students to read articles, do self-diagnosis, and try to solve examples from the book before seeking help from a professor.
Scorry
Hello,

Is there a proper way to study physics? Such as: 2-4 hours of daily study, specific youtubers I should subscribe to, etc...

My college allows a maximum of 2 hours a week of physics tutoring. I take advantage of that, but we typically cover 3 problem in each 1 hour meeting. Which is not sufficient for me. I do the homework but I struggle with it.

I'm taking College physics 151 with no prior experience. What do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have seen the solution to an example problem, try to talk yourself through it without looking at the answer. When you get stuck, when you really feel your stuckness, go back and look at the answer. Repeat. Once you can talk yourself through the problem and get the right answer without looking, change one small thing about the problem and try to work that. Think of ways to check the reasonableness of your answer. Are the units right? What happens when you increase x in the problem, does what the answer does physically make sense?

As far as internet resources, lots of people have found Kahn academy useful.

I should also add: When you are working on a problem from the book, you may not be able to solve it in one sitting. Sometimes problems have to simmer awhile in your head. You have to keep thinking about them. Be persistent, and don't get discouraged when the answer doesn't come right away.

Likes symbolipoint
Scorry said:
Hello,

Is there a proper way to study physics? Such as: 2-4 hours of daily study, specific youtubers I should subscribe to, etc...

My college allows a maximum of 2 hours a week of physics tutoring. I take advantage of that, but we typically cover 3 problem in each 1 hour meeting. Which is not sufficient for me. I do the homework but I struggle with it.

A good professor for your first calculus-based Physics will provide important advice for how to study and how to solve exercise problems. Most typically, review and remind yourself, formally ON YOUR work , the relevant mathematical relationships and physical laws (as their formulas), make precise diagrams and labeled figures, and very important: TRUST YOUR ALGEBRA!

You will probably need to read parts of your book chapters and sections several times in order to understand.
Another important thing to do is try to solve the book's examples yourself, before looking further at the solution process.

Scorry said:
Hello,

You need to do some self-diagnosis, i.e. figure out where and why you are struggling. Providing you with more sources may not be effective if the problem is more fundamental.

Actually, I think that something I wrote earlier to address on why we insist students should show attempts at solving a problem BEFORE seeking help might be useful for you to read. This essay addressed several distinct stages in solving a physics problem, and it might be useful for you to check through each step to figure out where you often get stuck. At the very least, it might tell you if you have problem with (i) figure out if you don't know the basic concept involved (ii) how to translate the physics concept to apply to a particular problem, or (iii) how to use the math.

http://physicsandphysicists.blogspot.com/2013/12/i-dont-know-wherehow-to-start.html

Rhett Allain has also written an article on what it means to study and understand physics.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/just-dont-understand-physics-midterm-advice-students/

Zz.

Thanks, I appreciate all the opinions. ZapperZ, translating the physics concept to apply to a particular problem is an issue for me.

Scorry said:
Thanks, I appreciate all the opinions. ZapperZ, translating the physics concept to apply to a particular problem is an issue for me.

Then your problem is more fundamental, because, really, this IS the physics, and HW problems and exams test you on your ability to do this. Without being able to use a physics concept and applying it to a problem, you really have not understood the concept, or may only have a superficial understanding of it (the general public has this type of understanding).

I strongly suggest you look at one of the links I gave on my blog, i.e. this one:

http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/phys513/Modules/module2/problems2.htm

You may want to go over the way each problem is broken down into various parts, especially in the beginning (which is where almost ALL of the physics is) where the concepts and the reasoning are presented. I strongly suggest you start tackling all of your HW and school problems via this technique. If you find that you are often stuck at this very beginning steps, then you haven't understood the physics concepts taught to you in class and in your text. You must do something quickly to remedy this.

Zz.

Likes Scorry
Thanks Zz.

Related to Study Physics: Strategies & Tips for College Students

What is the importance of studying physics in college?

Studying physics in college provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. It also helps develop a deep understanding of the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world, which can be applied to various fields such as engineering, medicine, and technology.

What are some effective study strategies for physics?

Some effective study strategies for physics include actively engaging with the material by taking notes and asking questions, practicing problem-solving regularly, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. It is also important to stay organized and manage time effectively to cover all the material.

How can I improve my understanding of difficult physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of difficult physics concepts, you can try breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts and connecting them to real-life examples. You can also use visual aids, such as diagrams or animations, to visualize the concept and make it easier to understand. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from peers or professors can also help clarify any confusion.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when studying physics?

Some common mistakes to avoid when studying physics include not practicing enough problems, not understanding the underlying concepts, and not seeking help when needed. It is also essential to avoid procrastination and to start studying early to have enough time to cover all the material.

How can I prepare for exams in physics?

To prepare for exams in physics, it is important to review material regularly throughout the semester, rather than cramming right before the exam. It is also helpful to practice solving problems from previous exams to get a sense of the format and difficulty level. Additionally, creating study groups and teaching the material to others can also aid in understanding and retention of the material.

Back