Study/reading tips for a late starter

In summary, this person is considering going back to university to study physics, and has been thinking about it for years. They are 27 years old and have As in maths and physics, and a B in music (UK based). They recommend books and video sources to someone who is considering going back to university to study physics. They also advise that if someone wants to pursue physics, they should be fervent and work hard.
Boulderbrow
Hi,

This is my first post. I've been mulling over whether to go back to university and study physics for years now. I've always had a passing fascination but have been constantly aware that I'm picking up the glamourous 'new scientist' end of the field and that real physics is, in all probability, far away from the image the media portrays.
Anyway, I'm now 27 and I've, rather obviously, decided that I'll never find out if it is more than an interest without taking some steps to study it - I have As in high school maths and physics and a B in A level maths (I'm UK based), I did my degree in music! (*ducks*). Can anyone suggest any books or primer sources, videos etc which may be a good place to start?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Boulderbrow said:
Hi,

This is my first post. I've been mulling over whether to go back to university and study physics for years now. I've always had a passing fascination but have been constantly aware that I'm picking up the glamourous 'new scientist' end of the field and that real physics is, in all probability, far away from the image the media portrays.
Anyway, I'm now 27 and I've, rather obviously, decided that I'll never find out if it is more than an interest without taking some steps to study it - I have As in high school maths and physics and a B in A level maths (I'm UK based), I did my degree in music! (*ducks*). Can anyone suggest any books or primer sources, videos etc which may be a good place to start?

Thanks

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

Open University? With your academic experience and maths A level you could probably jump straight in at:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/s207.htm

Or take a physics A level at your nearest technical college.

These routes would be effective primers & "ground testers", and give you a start on getting a physics degree, if you still want to proceed in that direction!

The world of music looks really glamorous to me - more so than the world of physics - listening to classical music is my favourite hobby. Did music lose any glamour for you through taking a professional interest in it? Physics lost a lot of glamour for me after trudging along the professional physics treadmill... You might be better sticking to New Scientist...

Go for it man...I was majoring in music and I spent quite a bit of time pursuing that. Although I did not get a degree I have around 2 and 1/2 years worth of classes under my belt. This did not work so well. I had a knack for math and the sciences. I first started out thinking engineering, but now I have focused on pursing physics. I was advised by my professor that obtaining a doctorate in physics is one of the hardest degrees you will ever pursue but I am fascinated by it. I want to get a bachelors and then pursue a PhD. I am currently 23 years old so I am more of less in the same boat. I will be in classes with a bunch of kids who are younger then me but who cares. The subject matter will be more then worth it.

You are still young what do you have to lose? Don't be stuck doing something you don't really like. If you feel this is your calling you should heed it and at least take a couple classes and see how you like it.

Also if you do pursue physics be fervent! I've have had a lot of class mates tell me how they really like the physics and that they want to pursue physics but when it came time to perform they didn't have the discipline to study continually all the time. Reading "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is one thing, but actually doing the physics problems is a different thing, which at times can be extremely frustrating but, when you solve them gives you great satisfaction. You can't be a bass player in a funk band while pursuing it either it won't work (or anything else extracurricular), I tried and it did not work so I had to quite the band and it was sad but worth it. You have to become a monk. Have coffee at hand and sit at a desk for 6-8 hours a day if not more. Serious!

Anyway I am rambling but here is a quote from Charles Baudelaire:

"It is necessary to work, if not from inclination, at least from despair. Everything considered, work is less boring than amusing oneself."

Good luck!

P.S. Teaching yourself via the internet can't really replace taking a class taught by a professor. You have a certain sense of urgency in the class that you don't have when teaching yourself.

Last edited:
Troponin - Thanks for sharing the link, I suspect there's a good few years of study just on that website alone!

mal4mac - Thanks, looks like a great place to start, I think I may get a few A level books to scope out some more fundamental aspects to start with then try and get onto the course.

Studying music didn't lose it's glamour for me, in fact, it lead me to appreciate it a lot more. However the 'world of music' can be pretty superficial and it isn't that glamorous being stuck in a touring van all day and setting up your own equipment! I guess it's a case of grass is always greener.

Duderonimous - Thanks for the kind words. Funnily enough I play bass in a funk band, so I can understand the sacrifice you made! Definately agree about not doing something you don't enjoy, hope to find out one way or another. Looks like I have my work cut out

Related to Study/reading tips for a late starter

1. How can I catch up on reading and studying if I am starting late?

Starting late can be daunting, but it is not impossible to catch up. The key is to prioritize and create a realistic study schedule. Identify the most important topics and allocate more time to them. Also, try to study in short and focused bursts rather than long study sessions.

2. What are some effective study techniques for a late starter?

Some effective study techniques include active reading, where you engage with the material by taking notes or asking questions, and using mnemonic devices to remember important information. Practice retrieval techniques such as flashcards or quizzing yourself to improve retention.

3. How can I manage my time effectively as a late starter?

Time management is crucial for a late starter. Create a study schedule that takes into account your other responsibilities and commitments. Use a planner or calendar to keep track of deadlines and prioritize tasks. Avoid procrastination and try to stick to your schedule as much as possible.

4. What are some tips for staying motivated as a late starter?

Motivation can be a challenge when starting late, but it is important to stay positive and focused. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate small victories along the way. Reward yourself for completing tasks and remember your end goal. Surround yourself with supportive and encouraging people.

5. How can I improve my reading speed as a late starter?

Improving reading speed takes practice, but there are some techniques that can help. Use a pen or finger to guide your eyes along the page and try to read in chunks rather than word by word. Avoid subvocalization (saying the words in your head) and practice speed reading exercises. Also, make sure to take breaks and rest your eyes to avoid fatigue.