Study Tips for High School Students

In summary: He said that you can just look them up when you need them.This is not true! Memorizing formulas is a very important part of math and can help you solve problems more quickly. If you remember only a few formulas, you will not be able to solve many problems.I like to study by doing problems from different chapters and from different problems in the textbook. Doing this will help you remember the material better.Another method that some people use is to make flashcards with the formulas on one side and examples on the other.
PrincePhoenix
Gold Member
I am just wandering how everyone studies or what good study methods are. My father tells me to read the topics the night before the lecture, then listen to the lecture carefully and then study the topic again after coming home on that day.

(I'm in first year of Higher secondary school, K-11 by American standards I guess.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

I had a professor, at the time (which is a few years ago), that said: you have forget something three times, before it sticks in your brain. Funnily enough, it made sense to me, the day I finished my bachelor.

So your dad might have the best approach. In this way, you would not have to crunch anything for your exam, or study anything more than just read again your notes.

Then again, when you have seven or eight classes in a day, where each gives you homework and stuff to read, it becomes very hard to study by this rule.

I guess the best approach is to keep in mind that you will forget a theory three times, before it finally sticks in your brain.

Cheers

What was your way of studying?

What worked for me in college was taking notes in class and then a week before the exam I would REWRITE all my notes.

study study study and then study some more until you have it down

Solve problems. I usually have 2-3 books on the same subject so I have a a number of sources to choose problems from.

PrincePhoenix said:
I am just wandering how everyone studies or what good study methods are. My father tells me to read the topics the night before the lecture, then listen to the lecture carefully and then study the topic again after coming home on that day.

(I'm in first year of Higher secondary school, K-11 by American standards I guess.)

I was looking for an old thread that had some great study tips, but no joy so far. I found these two related threads:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=336109

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222616

I'll try searching more when I have time.

My studying method:

1.) rewrite notes in a personal notebook.

2.) Listen to lectures and read chapters from the book when class is over.

3.) Add definitions. Also, do homework problems with detailed explanation of: Why, how, and because.

4.) Do more problems for practice.

I have adopted a rather strange study habit. I have found that I learn best by not taking notes during lecture but I pay extremely close attention to the professor, and think about what they say as they speak. I will do the example problems they give in class since the sciences are practice sports. From here I go trough that section in our text and attempt the example questions without reading the book or following their methods, I simply copy the problem and close it. Lastly I read the text in areas where I felt weak and practiced any problem I could. This is a lot of work but it does a few things. It forces you to study every time you have a class at the very least. It also, in my opinion solidifies the information better when I " found my way" to the answer rather than seeing what they did. Since doing this routine I haves received the highest marks of my academic career yet.

Joe

I like to read over the notes before the class. I don't bother working any problems or anything, but getting a feel for what we are going to be covering during the lecture. During the lecture I take really good brief notes that I file in a reference book. I do all of the homework, and write everything out, never skipping a step. I pretty much work through everything to 100%, including the questions in the book that are not required to complete (also any practice tests available to me). When we take tests, I usually take much longer than everyone else, but I always work through everything, and go back and double-work-through all of the questions. Before a larger test, I read through the notes for the sections that I filed away from the lecture and re-write them into a better format and refile them in place of the original note. It's a bit anal I Know, but I always get 100%.

Here are some "Common Math Myths" that my future algebra professor wrote for her calculus class. I found them very encouraging, because I have felt many of the worries that she describes.

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cgrood1/Math%2015%20myths.pdf

A friend of mine who does very well in math classes told me, when I expressed concern about my grades, that I shouldn't worry about the grade and should focus only on understanding the math the best that I can. Which is what my adviser, who is a statistician, told me to do after I did poorly on a statistics exam from another professor. I forget that advice at times, but it really is helpful.

I think it's a bad idea to try to figure things out all on your own, especially when you have limited time and can ask students and professors for help. I think that essentially learning math really is about figuring it all out on your own, but it's bad to get bogged down on a tiny detail and spend an inappropriately large amount of time on that, when you should be focusing on mistakes you make repeatedly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Study Tips for High School Students

1. How can I improve my study habits in high school?

Improving your study habits in high school involves creating a study schedule and sticking to it, finding a quiet and organized study space, taking breaks to avoid burnout, actively engaging with the material through note-taking and practice questions, and seeking help from teachers or tutors when needed.

2. What are some effective ways to manage my time as a high school student?

Managing your time as a high school student requires setting priorities and making a schedule that balances school work, extracurricular activities, and personal time. It's important to also avoid procrastination and to break down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying for exams?

To stay motivated while studying for exams, it's helpful to set specific and achievable goals, reward yourself for meeting those goals, and remind yourself of the long-term benefits of doing well on the exam. It's also important to take care of your physical and mental health during this time.

4. What are some effective note-taking strategies for high school students?

Effective note-taking strategies for high school students include using a consistent format for notes, summarizing and paraphrasing information instead of copying word-for-word, and using visual aids such as diagrams or charts to help with understanding. It's also important to review and organize notes regularly.

5. How can I prepare for standardized tests in high school?

Preparing for standardized tests in high school involves familiarizing yourself with the format and content of the test, practicing with sample questions and previous tests, and seeking out additional resources such as study guides or prep courses. It's also important to manage your time effectively during the test and to stay calm and focused.