Study topological field theories

In summary, in the conversation, the person is seeking recommendations for books or resources on topological field theories, specifically from a mathematical or physical perspective. Some suggestions mentioned include lectures by Witten, a textbook by Michel Aityah, and the book "Differential Topology and Quantum Field Theory." The person also mentions having Witten's articles but finding them difficult to understand as a beginner. They also mention their interest in mastering the mathematical aspect before delving into the physical aspect.
astros
hello,
I have just started to study topological field theories but my problem is that I do not find of books really specialized in the subject, can somebody inform me what I must do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Doesn't Witten have some lectures on TQFT?

I studied it when the topic first appeared. I used a textobook by Michel Aityah and a few reports (which I seriously doubt would be available online).

Also the book "Differenteial topology and quantum field theory dedicates it´s last chapter to thtat subject and it is very readable (I recommend the whole book instead).

It would be interesting, for further recomendations, if you would say if your main interest in the subject is from the mathemathical or teh phyisical viewpoint.

hello and thank you for your assistance
Emmanuel114:
quite sour that I have all the articles of Witten but they are rather innaccessibles for a beginner (in any case for me they are!)
Sauron:
the book of which you speak is surely that of nash, I have started to read it, but it is necessary to look at other references progressively. my interest is initially mathematical, and once this side maitrized I would see physical side!
than, is the sequence of courses in this book the best for me? or are there any other source in the net?

Related to Study topological field theories

1. What is a topological field theory?

A topological field theory is a type of physical theory that studies the properties and behavior of physical systems using mathematical concepts from topology. It focuses on the global, geometric properties of a system rather than the local, numerical properties.

2. What are the main applications of topological field theories?

Topological field theories have a wide range of applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum gravity, and string theory. They are also used in computer science, particularly in the study of quantum computation and information.

3. How are topological field theories different from other types of field theories?

Unlike other field theories, topological field theories do not depend on a specific metric or geometry of a space. Instead, they focus on the topological structure of the space and how it is preserved under continuous transformations.

4. What are the main challenges in studying topological field theories?

One of the main challenges in studying topological field theories is the lack of experimental evidence to test their predictions. This is due to the fact that they often describe systems at extreme energy scales or in highly abstract mathematical spaces.

5. What are some current developments in the field of topological field theories?

Recent developments in topological field theories include the study of topological phases of matter, such as topological insulators and superconductors, and their potential applications in quantum computing. There is also ongoing research on the connection between topological field theories and other areas of physics, such as conformal field theory and topological strings.