Studying for old units (a-level)

In summary, the person is seeking guidance on whether they should revise older material while studying for new units in A-level chemistry, biology, and physics on the AQA board. They are advised to focus on the new content but to review any problem topics from the old material. It is also recommended to revise the old material if it will be covered on the exam.
IQScience
Okay, so this isn't actually a chemistry or biology homework question as such.
I just didn't know where else to ask this question, if somebody could redirect me to the correct place if it's not acceptable to post this in here, that'd be awesome :)

So basically, I'm studying A-level chemistry, biology, and physics A, on the AQA board (England).
I've completed units 1, 2, and 3, currently going into A2 level.

I'm studying for units 4, 5, and 6, but is it a good idea to still revise units 1, 2, and 3?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Academic Guidance is the right forum for questions like that, I moved your thread.

I recommend against paying too much attention to the old stuff. You need to be focusing on the new content. If you find there are things you aren't good at or don't know so well, then by all means go over those problem topics. My thinking is, one only has so much energy for study so it should be used on the new stuff.

However, if your exam covers the old work, then you should revise it so that it is fresh in your mind.

Related to Studying for old units (a-level)

1. What are the benefits of studying for old units in A-level?

Studying for old units in A-level can help refresh your memory and solidify your understanding of key concepts. It can also improve your overall grade by filling in any knowledge gaps and boosting your confidence for future exams.

2. How should I prioritize my time when studying for old units?

It is important to prioritize the units that you struggled with the most initially. Start by reviewing your notes and past assignments, then move on to more challenging practice questions and past exams. Make sure to also allocate time to review and reinforce concepts you are already confident in.

3. Is it necessary to study for old units if I already did well on them?

Even if you did well on a particular unit in the past, it is still beneficial to review the material. This will help you maintain a strong understanding and prevent any potential gaps in knowledge that may arise as you move on to more advanced topics.

4. How can I make studying for old units more interesting?

One way to make studying for old units more engaging is to find new and creative ways to review the material. This can include creating flashcards, making mind maps, or teaching the material to a friend or family member. It can also be helpful to set specific goals and challenges for yourself while studying.

5. How far in advance should I start studying for old units?

It is recommended to start studying for old units at least a few weeks before your exam. This will give you enough time to thoroughly review the material and address any areas of weakness. However, it is never too late to begin reviewing, so start as soon as possible to give yourself the best chance of success.