Stupid question about what brand of laptop to buy

yungman
Hi

I know this is stupid question. Wife's laptop just broke down after 6yrs and this is urgent.

we have been using HP stuffs for over 25yrs and they served me well until the last laptop I got last yr. Also, I had a HP all-in-one that lasted 20yrs. When it broke down, my BIG mistake was I junk it thinking the newer ones must be better. WRONG, I am on my 7th or 8th all-in-one in the last 5yrs. The new HP I bought is long in the junk yard, never really work from day one.

the latest HP laptop tend to freeze, had to restart quite a few times. I mush have like 6 or 7 HP laptops in the last 25yrs between me and my wife. I think it's time to search a different brand.

I know this can be very personal, all I can see is I don't have luck with Lenovo, 2 bump ones. One bad Dell( where it's so common in companies).

I was told lately Asus is good, Acer is not as good. But I was people here to give me opinion what brand I should look at.

HP is cheaper for sure.

Thanks

Alan

Computer science news on Phys.org
Business-grade laptops are significantly more durable, in general, than consumer-grade laptops. They tend to have fewer "bells-and-whistles" and cost more. In fact, if durability is your concern, I might consider a refurbished business laptop as preferable to a new consumer laptop. See this.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman and yungman
TIL there exist business-grade versus consumer-grade laptops. I had no idea.

DaveC426913 said:
TIL there exist business-grade versus consumer-grade laptops. I had no idea.
I believe the cheaper ones that sold a lot can be more reliable because if there's any problem, they will find out and fix it fast. I choose this one now because it has over 1000 rating of 4.5 stars.

I pay more for the all-in-one printer/scanner. Still all junk anyway.

I design electronics/hardware for 30yrs, It's all on the design, does the design have margin be it signal timing or power dissipation. Just because it's expensive does not mean is more reliable. reputable companies can have a lousy engineer. The quality of the product depends on the weakest link of people that participate in the design. Jobs turn over so fast in high tech, nobody can predict anymore.

To moderator, you should close this thread, I bought mine, I cannot wait because the same laptop with a little more memory is like $100 more, they can raise the price overnight, so I cannot afford to miss this.

yungman said:
I pay more for the all-in-one printer/scanner. Still all junk anyway.
Here we go again.

As pointed out in your last two threads on this, you bought a cheap printer - maybe not the absolute cheapest, but close. Furthermore, the technology is ill-suited to your requirements. But it was cheap.

The reason that you are unhappy is 100% entirely your own fault.

It's up to you whether you want to make the same mistake again here.