Stupid question on anomalous magnetic moment of the electron

In summary, Ryder's notation uses \Lambdaμ(2) to calculate the correction of the magnetic moment of the electron, while the finite term in \Lambdaμ(1) is not considered because it does not contribute to the magnetic moment, only to the form factor F1. Peskin & Schroeder explain how only the \Lambda^{(2)} term is relevant to the anomalous magnetic moment, as the \Lambda^{(1)} term goes to 1 as q (momentum) approaches 0. The finite term in \Lambda(1)μ is proportional to the matrix γμ and does not contribute to the magnetic moment, only to the form factor F1. The non-relativistic limit can be used to
paolorossi
I don't understand one think: when we calculated the correction of the magnetic moment of the electron, we consider only the finite terms of the vertex correction that non depend on the parameter μ. Using Ryder notation , we consider only

[itex]\bar{u}[/itex](p')(γμ+[itex]\Lambda[/itex]μ(2))u(p)

but there is also another finite contribution in [itex]\Lambda[/itex]μ(1)
[itex]\Lambda[/itex]μ(1) = divergent + finite

, why we don't consider that? some book to view this?

Physics news on Phys.org
paolorossi said:
, why we don't consider that? some book to view this?
Try Peskin & Schroeder. If I remember correctly, they show how only the ##\Lambda^{(2)}## term you mentioned is relevant to the anomalous magnetic moment, because the ##\Lambda^{(1)}## term goes to 1 as ##q\to 0##. (I'm guessing here that Ryder's ##\Lambda## corresponds to P&S's ##F##.)

yes,there are two form factors .The first of which becomes 1 in zero momentum transfer case.However I have not read ryder,so may be it is something different.I will reply after taking a look somewhere else.

yes,there are two form factors .The first of which becomes 1 in zero momentum transfer case.However I have not read ryder,so may be it is something different.I will reply after taking a look somewhere else.
thanks . however the [itex]\Lambda[/itex]μ is the vertex correction... when the ryder regularize it, whit the dimensional method, he writes it as the sum of two terms: [itex]\Lambda[/itex](2)μ that is convergent, and [itex]\Lambda[/itex](1)μ that contains the divergent term plus a finite term. Then he calculates the quantity
[itex]\bar{u}[/itex](p')([itex]\gamma[/itex]μ+[itex]\Lambda[/itex]μ(2))u(p)
whit q=p'-p (q is the momentum associated to the external photon ) different fo zero. He find the correction:
g/2=1+α/2π

but why he doesn't consider the finite term in [itex]\Lambda[/itex](1)μ ?

strangerep said:
Try Peskin & Schroeder. If I remember correctly, they show how only the ##\Lambda^{(2)}## term you mentioned is relevant to the anomalous magnetic moment, because the ##\Lambda^{(1)}## term goes to 1 as ##q\to 0##. (I'm guessing here that Ryder's ##\Lambda## corresponds to P&S's ##F##.)

thanks now I try to read something

ok now I understand. I calculate Λ(1)μ : the finite term in it is proportional to the matrix γμ, so it doesn't give any contribution to the magentic moment of the electron ( it contributes only to the form factor F1 )

certain that the ryder could write instead of "finite" in the expression of Λ(1)μ the term itself, or say something about ...

they are just the form factors.By taking the non relativistic limit you can interpret F1(0) as the unit of charge(zero momentum transfer case it is 1) and other factor F2(0) which using gordon identity can be interpreted as electron having a magnetic moment (1+F2(0)) which interacts with magnetic field .

they are just the form factors
... I think it's more correct to say that they are connected to form factors, in fact, using the identity of gordon we find that only a part of the finite term [itex]\Lambda[/itex](2)μ contributes to the form factor F2 , and so to the magnetic moment of the electron... anyway thanks to all for your answers, bye

Related to Stupid question on anomalous magnetic moment of the electron

1. What is the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron?

The anomalous magnetic moment of the electron is a measure of the strength and direction of the electron's magnetic field. It is a fundamental property of the electron that plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. Why is the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron important?

The anomalous magnetic moment of the electron is important because it provides insight into the underlying structure of the electron and its interactions with other particles. It also helps to test the accuracy of theoretical models and predictions in the field of quantum electrodynamics.

3. How is the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron measured?

The anomalous magnetic moment of the electron is measured through precise experiments using advanced particle accelerators and detectors. These experiments involve studying the behavior of electrons in strong magnetic fields and comparing the results with theoretical predictions.

4. What is the current accepted value for the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron?

The current accepted value for the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron is 0.00115965218091(26). This value is determined through a combination of theoretical calculations and experimental measurements, and it has been confirmed to high precision by multiple experiments.

5. Are there any discrepancies between the measured and predicted values of the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron?

Yes, there is a small discrepancy between the measured and predicted values of the anomalous magnetic moment of the electron. This is known as the "electron anomalous magnetic moment discrepancy" and has been a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. It is possible that this discrepancy could lead to new discoveries and advancements in our understanding of the subatomic world.