SU(n) - conjugate representation

In summary: To see that there is no S that maps the fundamental representation to the antifundamental, note that S would have to map the weights of the fundamental rep to the weights of the antifundamental rep. However, for the fundamental rep, the weights are (1, 0, 0) and (0, 1, 0) and for the antifundamental rep, the weights are (0, 1, 0) and (0, 0, 1). These are clearly not equivalent, so no such S can exist.
tom.stoer
Science Advisor
Very simple question, but I can't find the answer.

Taking an su(n) Lie algebra with hermitean generators we have

[tex][T^a, T^b] = if^{abc}T^c[/tex]

One immediately finds that the new generators

[tex]\tilde{T}^a = (-T^a)^\ast [/tex]

define the same algebra, i.e. fulfil the same commutation relations

[tex][\tilde{T}^a, \tilde{T}^b] = if^{abc}\tilde{T}^c[/tex]

One can show easily that for n=2 the two sets of generators are equivalent, i.e. related by a transformation

[tex]\tilde{T}^a = S T^a S^{-1}[/tex]

I know that for n>2 this is no longer true, i.e. that the two representations are not equivalent. That means that for n>2 this S cannot exist. My question is, how can one show algebraically that for n=3, 4, ... no S can exist such that

[tex]\tilde{T}^a = S T^a S^{-1}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
In general for [tex]su(n)[/tex] the fundamental representation [tex]V[/tex] and the antifundamental representation [tex]V^*=\text{Hom}(V,\mathbb{C})[/tex] are complex conjugate representations with opposite complex structures, so are distinct. In the case of [tex]su(2)= sl(2,\mathbb{R})[/tex] the fundamental representation is actually real, hence the equivalence you found.

Thanks; I know this. But what does it mean on the level of the matrices T and S? How can I show using simply the T's that the above mentioned S does not exist for su(n) with n>2.

You are requiring the representations to be real, if I am not mistaken. There was some requirement that the eigenvalues of the generators should come in pairs of opposite sign.

Again I know that, but why? Let's make a simple example. I give you the Gell-Mann matrices and let you calculate an S that does the job. Where do you fail to determine S? And why?

I think I figured it out.

One can check that iff S exists then it maps eigenvalues to eigenvalues. But using the conjugate generators one sees that it maps eigenvalues to "minus eigenvalues". These two mappings can only coincide iff the eigenvalues come in pairs.

One can check for the Gell-Mann matrices that for a=1..7 the eigenvalues come in pairs +1, -1. But for a=8 the eigenvalues are ~ 1, 1, -2 and are not paired. Therefore assuming S to do the job leads to a contradiction, whcih means that for SU(3) no such S can exist.

tom.stoer said:
One can check that iff S exists then it maps eigenvalues to eigenvalues.

The characteristic polynomials for two similar matrices (meaning they are connected via [itex]B = S A S^{-1}[/itex]) are:

[tex]
\mathrm{det} \left(B - \lambda \, 1 \right) = \mathrm{det} \left[ S (A - \lambda \, 1) S^{-1} \right] = \mathrm{det}{S} \, \mathrm{det}\left(A - \lambda 1\right) \, \mathrm{det}{S^{-1}} = \mathrm{det}\left(A - \lambda 1\right)
[/tex]

the same, so you are right there.

tom.stoer said:
But using the conjugate generators one sees that it maps eigenvalues to "minus eigenvalues".

Because the generators are hermitian, they have real eigenvalues. Thus, the eigenvalues of [itex]\tilde{T^{a}} = -(T^{a})^{\ast}[/itex] should be the set [itex]\{-\lambda^{\ast}\} = \{-\lambda\}[/itex].

tom.stoer said:
These two mappings can only coincide iff the eigenvalues come in pairs.

True, however, we have just proven that the condition is a necessary one. I am not sure whether it is easy to show that it is a sufficient one as well, or even if that is true.

tom.stoer said:
One can check for the Gell-Mann matrices that for a=1..7 the eigenvalues come in pairs +1, -1. But for a=8 the eigenvalues are ~ 1, 1, -2 and are not paired. Therefore assuming S to do the job leads to a contradiction, whcih means that for SU(3) no such S can exist.

Yes, I wanted to reply to your first reply with the 8th Gell-Mann matrix, but you beat me to it. :smile:

Thanks for responsing and for LaTeX.

Dickfore said:
True, however, we have just proven that the condition is a necessary one. I am not sure whether it is easy to show that it is a sufficient one as well, or even if that is true.

My original problem was to understand why the fundamental and the conjugate rep. of SU(3) are not equivalent. This is what we have solved now. I agree that we only discussed a necessary condition, we did not show whether it's suffcient.

tom.stoer said:
Thanks for responsing and for LaTeX.
My original problem was to understand why the fundamental and the conjugate rep. of SU(3) are not equivalent. This is what we have solved now. I agree that we only discussed a necessary condition, we did not show whether it's suffcient.

The fundamental and antifundamental representations are related by the [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex] outer automorphism of [tex]SU(n)[/tex]. You can either see this from the weight diagram or by labeling the Dynkin diagram with the highest weights. This means that [tex]SU(n)[/tex] has inequivalent actions on them. For [tex]SU(2)[/tex], there are no outer automorphisms, so there was an inner automorphism that related the conjugate representations.

For [tex]SU(3)[/tex], what distinguishes the two representations is the choice of [tex]\lambda_{2,5,7}[/tex]. If we take these to be the fundamental representation, then the antifundamental matrices [tex]-\lambda_{2,5,7}[/tex] correspond to an inequivalent complex structure.

Last edited:

Related to SU(n) - conjugate representation

1. What is an SU(n) conjugate representation?

An SU(n) conjugate representation is a mathematical concept used in the study of symmetry groups and Lie algebras. It is a representation of the special unitary group SU(n) in which the elements of the group are represented by matrices that are conjugate to each other.

2. What is the difference between a conjugate representation and a regular representation?

A regular representation of a group is a representation in which each element of the group is represented by a unique matrix. In contrast, a conjugate representation allows for elements of the group to be represented by different matrices that are related by conjugation.

3. How is the conjugate representation of SU(n) related to its adjoint representation?

The adjoint representation of SU(n) is a special case of the conjugate representation, in which the matrices used to represent the elements of the group are Hermitian. This representation is useful in the study of Lie algebras, as it allows for the calculation of the group's commutation relations.

4. What is the physical significance of SU(n) conjugate representations?

Conjugate representations of SU(n) are used in theoretical physics, particularly in quantum field theory and particle physics, to describe the symmetries of physical systems. These representations are important in understanding the behavior of particles and fields under the action of the SU(n) symmetry group.

5. How are SU(n) conjugate representations related to the concept of gauge symmetry?

Gauge symmetry is a fundamental concept in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of quantum field theory. SU(n) conjugate representations are closely related to gauge symmetry, as they provide a mathematical framework for describing the transformations that leave the equations of motion of a physical system invariant.